Is It Ok To Have an RN Perform Ulthera on me, Or Should It Be a Board Certified Doctor?

I am considering ulthera. Provider I talked has RN perform the procedure. Is it OK, or should I look for practice where procedure is done by MD? Thanks!

Who is the best or who is qualified to perform ultherapy?

+4

In California, ulthera can be performed be performed by MDs or RNs or aestheticians under a doctors supervision. Regardless, careful oversight, planning and consulting with the physician is essential. As a board certified plastic surgeon, I am involved with the planning and delivery of every treatment, including administering nerve blocks and mapping out treatment lines and densities for what I see as the target for optimal results.

Ultherapy delivered by RN or physician

+3

Whether the Ulthera's device can be delivered by a nurse or physician depends on the individual state's laws. In NYC Ulthera can be delivered by an RN under the supervision of a physician. I prefer to perform the treatment myself as I am very comfortable with the anatomy and would like to tailor the treatment to my patient's facial structures rather than using a textbook approach which may not fit every patient's best interest.

Ronald Shelton, MD

MD can delegate Ultherapy treatment to qualified medical professional

+2

The regulations about delgating Ulthera treatment by the supervising MD vary by state, but it is perfectly appropriate in most places. What is important is to make sure that both the MD responsible and the person doing the treatment, usually an RN or PA, is well-trained. I would guess that like Thermage, non-ablative lasers, and IPL, most Ulthera treatments are done by someone other than an MD.

Richard Baxter, MD

No problem with RN performing Ulthera

+1

The FDA regulates who is allowed to perform treatments with medical devices, and many are limited to doctors only.  However, Ulthera can be performed by both doctors and nurses.  Regardless of the person performing the treatment, they must be trained appropriately in the use of the device.  As long as the physician provides appropriate treatment planning and oversight, it should be fine for a nurse to perform the treatment.  

Harry Mittelman, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

An RN is OK for the Ulthera treatment

+1

An RN is absolutely OK to perform the Ulthera treatment.  It is actually pretty straightforward.  Good luck!

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Should you have a nurse do your Ulthera treatment?

+1

The actual performance of the Ultherapy procedure is very straightforward.  It is not technically difficult and a trained RN should be able to perform the treatment safely.  If the physician maps out the treatment and the nurse completes it, I think it is fine.  Like any other cosmetic treatment however, what you are really paying for is the knowledge and expertise of the physician.  If you are not getting this, I would suggest that you go someplace where you are.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes it is OK for an RN to perform Ulthera

+1

Ulthera is a procedure that is routinely performed by the Registered Nurse.  As with any procedure whether it be surgical or non-surgical, it is wise to look at the credentials and experience of the physician and the physician extender (RN, PA-C).   The important thing is to seek a provider within a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons' practice who can educate you on the procedure and help you to determine if Ulthera is your best option to achieve your goals.  Questions you may want to ask are about the number of lines they typically use in the procedure, questions regarding pain management, and ask to see the before and after pictures for their patients.  For information in finding a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, you can go to the American Board for Plastic Surgery website.

Dan Mills, MD