Is It Possible To Have Ultherapy on Nose & Upper Lip? In Not, Why?

My upper lip has lengthened considerably as I've aged - so much so that it has changed my smile. This has been upsetting for me. As I have a dark olive complexion & scar too easily so wish to avoid surgery. Ulthera seemed to be the best solution, as I also have some skin laxity (I'm 37). When I went in for the treatment in Asia, the Dr. informed me that they DO NOT USE Ulthera on the upper lip (& nose) - what a let down! Is this normal practice in the States & if so, why?

Ultherapy for the Nose and Lips

+2

The limitation with treatment of the nose and lip had to do with the handpieces.  The handpiece was too big to use on the nose and too deep for the delicate skin of the upper lip.  Both of these issues should be solved by the end of the year.  A smaller handpiece is now available and a more superficial treatment handpiece should be out by December.  Check back with your Ultherapy provider in a few months.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ulthera to tighten and lift the upper lip is being investigated

+1

Although treatment of the upper lip is not discussed in Ulthera's protocol, physicians are allowed to utilize equipment for other protocols at times with certain devices.  Some physicians are using the smaller infraorbital transducer for treatment of the cutaneous upper lip and eventually there may be a newer protocol that becomes standardized. The transducer however does not fit on the curvature of the nose readily and it is not safe to treat an area if there is not full contact of the transducer with the skin.

Ronald Shelton, MD