Are patients awake for Tumescent Liposuction, or is there the option of having local or general anesthesia?

Tumescent Liposuction and Anesthesia

+1
Patients can be moderately sedated for tumescent liposuction (depending on whether the facility is accredited to administer moderate sedation) or it can be done with just an anti-anxiety medication. Some may offer general anesthesia, but studies have shown that it is with general anesthesia that most complications such as death, pulmonary embolisms, and other comorbidities occur.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Can tumescent Lipo suction be performed under local or general anesthesia?

+1
Tumescent liposuction can be used with general or local anesthesia. With local anesthesia the number of areas that can be treated is limited by the amount of local anesthetic that is to be used whereas with general anesthesia you can treat more Areas. In my experience you can do an equally good job with either technique. Best Wishes!

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+1
I use general anesthesia for most larger cases.  Local is appropriate for smaller areas.

Liposuction and local vs general anesthesia

+1
I have done liposuction under both local and general anesthesia and overwhelmingly prefer general anesthesia. Patients pay me for a result and I can be much more thorough/aggressive with the patient asleep. Physicians touting local anesthesia and warning of the dangers of general anesthesia usually have non-surgical backgrounds and are trying to rely on the general public's fear of being "put under"! In healthy patients and in a certified setting, modern day general anesthesia is extremely safe. Hope this helps, good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon