Painful Scar Tissue After Breast Reduction 6 Years Later, Is this Normal?

Hello! I had a breast reduction in 2006, from a HHH, (that the surgeon said was much bigger to a DD) I never had very painful scars until about a month ago I noticed an area on the lower area of where the reduction was that was slightly raised and very painful to the touch. I also get sharp pains once in a while in my chest. Is this normal?? Why did it take so long for that area of the scar to be so painful?

Breast reduction and pain six years later

It is unusual for a scar six years old to cause pain after a breast reduction. An exam may help delineate the cause. You should probably see a surgeon regarding this.  Good luck.

Scar pain after breast reduction

It would not be typical for a pain pattern to develop six years postoperatively.  You should see your plastic surgeon to evaluate whether a late hypertrophic scar is at issue.  Also, whenever a patient presents with breast pain, I recommend a breast examination.  If you have not had a screening or regular followup mammogram, then this is always advisable.

Robert L. Kraft, MD