Am I to Young for a Breast Reduction at 15?

I am 15 years old an have a DD chest side. I have done some research on breast reductions and didn't find an answer about the breasts growing back. I have back and neck pain, and always feel extremely unconfortable. I know that it isn't a weight problem, I am 5"9' 145 lbs and very active, which is also a struggle for me having size DD breasts. Swim team suits dont fit right and either do track and basketball jerseys. Should I wait a few more years?

Breast Reduction at Young Age?

+2

It sounds like  you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.
As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).
On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Questions about breast reduction for a teenager

+1
If you have extremely large breasts you may be a candidate for a breast reduction even at an early age. I usually like to have a patients breast growth to be stable for one year prior to considering a breast lift. If there is significant hormonal stimulation the breasts can get bigger after a breast reduction. Best to consult a plastic surgeon with your parents along for the consultation.

Is Breast Reduction for a 15 year old appropriate?

+1

Breast reduction for someone your age is generally not done as your breasts are likely to continue to grow and the breast reduction operation would need to be repeated.

This being said, there are circumstances where breast reduction in someone your age might be appropriate.  While your breasts are large, DD cup, as have told us, the exceptions that I am referring to is called gigantomastia, where the breasts have grown extremely large, and are often several times the size of your breasts.

I would be best for you  to discuss your concerns with your parents who would have to give their permission for you to have surgery.  Then go with them to a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation, where you will be examined and your your concerns and treatment options will be properly discussed.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Breast Reduction - Can I Get my Breast Reduction at 15?

+1

Well, there are a few obstacles - but it may be possible.  First, of course, is that you cannot do this without your parents' consent.  The age of consent in the United States is 18 and unless it's an emergency, surgeons will not (generally and as far as I know) be able to perform surgery on you in the absence of your parents say-so.  That may make it impossible - are your parents okay with it?  If not, you'll have to wait until you're 18.

If they support you, however, then you have to try to figure out if your breast growth is complete.  There's no way to know for sure but if your body hasn't changed in the last few years, then it's likely that your breast growth is complete and, at that point, you can reasonably consider a breast reduction.  There is always the possibility that your breasts may STILL grow - but I feel that significantly enlarged breasts, even in a younger woman such as you, can be reduced and will have a dramatic improvement in your quality of life.  Of course, there are consequences to this decision - there are scars, risks, etc.  But I have seen so many women benefit enormously from this procedure that I think that if it's something you're considering you should speak with your parents and take it from there.  Hopefully, they will support you in this.  I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Extremely large breasts should be reduced now, even if you need a touch up later.

+1

Hi.

My usual recommendation is to wait until you are sure your breasts have stopped growing, but you look almost like an emergency.  Your breasts must be interfering with your physical and psychological health.  I would recommend a breast reduction now.  You will possibly need a revision in your twenties. Good luck!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Juvenile macromastia

+1
In general, yes It is important to wait for breast development to be complete or you will risk needing two operations. Insurance companies will not cover reduction in women under age 18 at this time. I can think of only one instance in which surgery was warranted and approved and that was in a case in which the patient had other, serious medical issues and the weight of the breasts caused compression of her lungs and aggravated scoliosis to the point where she could not stand erect. This was an extreme case. I sympathize with your problems. This is an excellent time for you to research the operation. I know that you must have concerns as to the effects on your physical activities and psychological discomfort as well. In the meantime, I'd recommend that you pursue a course of conservative management, including physical therapy, massage, supportive garments, etc. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD