How Painful Are Restylane Injections?

I'm a big baby I don't like pain, I've wanted lips for a year now and I'm finally going to face my fears and get over it. My mom has Restylane done to her lips and she said it hurt very badly. She did have a dental block, but it still hurt. I have asked myself over and over. Am I willing to go under that bit of pain to look better? I've had a nose job, the only pain I had was when the dr was removing my cast, I cried, but I got over it.

Ask for nerve blocks before Restylane to the lips.

+5

This does not have to be any more painful than two tiny needle pricks (1 per side) to anesthetize the infra-orbital nerves, and two needle pokes to numb the mental nerves, These can also be done via intraoral approaches after first numbing the mucosa with topical anesthetic like the dentist uses, making the injections virtually pain-free. Then your injector can enlarge your lips as desired.

If you like the look of Restylane-enlarged lips, you may want to consider dermal fat graft permanent lip enlargement, which can give you soft, sensate, natural, and permanent lip enlargement with your own tissues.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Restylane doesn't have to hurt!

+5

Everyone has a different pain tolerance.  Some of my patients only want ice before injections and some require intravenous sedation.  It is all about what works for you.  You can find a plastic surgeon or dermatologist that will design a treatment plan that you are comfortable with.  You don't have to suffer to have Restylane or any other treatment.  If your doctor doesn't offer the options you desire, look around.  You can find someone who does.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Are Lip Injections Painful?

+2

Hi Pascal.  Generally lips are one of the more sensitive injection areas of the face.  Normally, dental blocks, triple numbing cream and/or ice packs will allow you to get through the procedures. 

Everyone's pain tolerance is different so what might be excruciating for you, is a piece of cake for someone else.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Facial filler injections don't have to be painful

+2

A single numbing pinprick on each side can make facial filling injections almost free of sensation.  At most your upper lip might feel (not look) huge for a half hour.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane in the lips does not have to hurt

+2

An appropriately placed dental block (one plced in the gum area, just as you would would receive from the dentist when having a cavity filled) will allow you to receive Restylane pain free.  Topical numbing medication can also be placed on the lips for added insurance.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Injections in the Lips...."No Pain, No Gain"?

+2

Hi Pascal,

OUCH! Just kidding.

Restylane or Juvederm lip injections do not need to torture a patient. Two small local anesthetic injections above your lip and two below (nerve blocks) are all you should feel.

Some patients like you opt to have a friend or relative drive them to their treatment so that they can pre-medicate with an anti-anxiety med like Xanax 1 mg about 30 minutes before their injections.

Ice compresses before the injections, and the addition of a tiny amount of local anesthetic to the filler also help.

Most importantly, choose your injecting physician carefully. In the lips usually "Less is More". Go for subtle changes.

Have fun and enjoy your new lips.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Nerve blocks are unnecessary for Restylane injections to the lips

+1
I used to perform nerve blocks for Restylane and Juvederm injections to the lips.  They are painful, create swelling that distorts the mouth and sometimes lasts for days, and leave patients numb and drooling.  I am happy to say that none of my patients has required a dental nerve block in about 3 years.  High-potency, specially formulated topical anesthetic ointment and laughing gas have made my life--and my patients' lives--much easier.  

Ronald Friedman, MD

Lip Injections

+1
Many people want to have full lips and it actually helps with many of those fine lines around your lips. Most patients feel comfortable with the dental block after we apply some numbing cream to the area. You'll love the results. I highly suggest going to a facial plastic experienced injector who can make you comfortable. 

Kristin J. Tarbet, MD
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon

Painful Are Restylane Injections

+1

All fillers can cause some discomfort, especially the first time. You can request topical numbing cream, plus a dental block to make it more bearable for you. The lips are especially sensitive, but a gentle injector and the use of topical and locally injected anesthesia, can make it more tolerable.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Moderating pain with Restylane injections

+1

Our office typically will do a dental block before injecting into the lips.  We also give topical numbing medicine as well.  It is usually well tolerated.  Make sure your injector is well trained and experienced.

Jeffrey Roth, MD