How Painful Are Restylane Injections?

I'm a big baby I don't like pain, I've wanted lips for a year now and I'm finally going to face my fears and get over it. My mom has Restylane done to her lips and she said it hurt very badly. She did have a dental block, but it still hurt. I have asked myself over and over. Am I willing to go under that bit of pain to look better? I've had a nose job, the only pain I had was when the dr was removing my cast, I cried, but I got over it.

Ask for nerve blocks before Restylane to the lips.

This does not have to be any more painful than two tiny needle pricks (1 per side) to anesthetize the infra-orbital nerves, and two needle pokes to numb the mental nerves, These can also be done via intraoral approaches after first numbing the mucosa with topical anesthetic like the dentist uses, making the injections virtually pain-free. Then your injector can enlarge your lips as desired.

If you like the look of Restylane-enlarged lips, you may want to consider dermal fat graft permanent lip enlargement, which can give you soft, sensate, natural, and permanent lip enlargement with your own tissues. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Nerve blocks are unnecessary for Restylane injections to the lips

I used to perform nerve blocks for Restylane and Juvederm injections to the lips.  They are painful, create swelling that distorts the mouth and sometimes lasts for days, and leave patients numb and drooling.  I am happy to say that none of my patients has required a dental nerve block in about 3 years.  High-potency, specially formulated topical anesthetic ointment and laughing gas have made my life--and my patients' lives--much easier.  

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Restylane doesn't have to hurt!

Everyone has a different pain tolerance.  Some of my patients only want ice before injections and some require intravenous sedation.  It is all about what works for you.  You can find a plastic surgeon or dermatologist that will design a treatment plan that you are comfortable with.  You don't have to suffer to have Restylane or any other treatment.  If your doctor doesn't offer the options you desire, look around.  You can find someone who does.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Are Lip Injections Painful?

Hi Pascal.  Generally lips are one of the more sensitive injection areas of the face.  Normally, dental blocks, triple numbing cream and/or ice packs will allow you to get through the procedures. 

Everyone's pain tolerance is different so what might be excruciating for you, is a piece of cake for someone else.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Facial filler injections don't have to be painful

A single numbing pinprick on each side can make facial filling injections almost free of sensation.  At most your upper lip might feel (not look) huge for a half hour.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane in the lips does not have to hurt

An appropriately placed dental block (one plced in the gum area, just as you would would receive from the dentist when having a cavity filled) will allow you to receive Restylane pain free.  Topical numbing medication can also be placed on the lips for added insurance.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Injections in the Lips...."No Pain, No Gain"?

Hi Pascal,

OUCH! Just kidding.

Restylane or Juvederm lip injections do not need to torture a patient. Two small local anesthetic injections above your lip and two below (nerve blocks) are all you should feel.

Some patients like you opt to have a friend or relative drive them to their treatment so that they can pre-medicate with an anti-anxiety med like Xanax 1 mg about 30 minutes before their injections.

Ice compresses before the injections, and the addition of a tiny amount of local anesthetic to the filler also help.

Most importantly, choose your injecting physician carefully. In the lips usually "Less is More". Go for subtle changes.

Have fun and enjoy your new lips.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Many methods of eliminating pain may be used for Restylane treatment

Restylane can be virtually painless! In my office we use 3 techniques for all patients- topical numbing cream, ice during the treatment, and also mix in extra lidocaine (numbing medicine) into the syringe. This makes our fillers very comfortable. 

I can attest myself- I have treated myself with the above 3 numbing techniques and have also just had Restylane without the numbing and it makes a big difference! 

Restylane is so soft and natural - it is wonderful that it can also be very comfortable! 

Mohiba Khan Tareen, MD
Minneapolis Dermatologic Surgeon

Pain tolerance varies from patient to patient.

Pain tolerance varies from patient to patient when injectable fillers are used. In some cases, patients are able to undergo the procedure without anesthesia, while in other patients, anesthesia is an absolute requirement.
The lips have a high density of sensory nerves and for this reason are very sensitive to pain.Pain thresholds vary from patient to patient for a variety of reasons including anxiety.In some patients this procedure can be performed without anesthesia, while in others, this would never be a consideration.Based on your history, quality anesthesia will be an absolute necessity for you.
Multiple options for anesthesia are currently available under these circumstances.These include topical agents, injectable agents and drugs that address anxiety.In many cases slowing down the process and using these tools in combination can make this a more comfortable experience.
Topical anesthetics are relatively easy to use.These agents are simply spread over the area before the procedure.They take approximately 10 to 15 minutes to work and are moderately effective.The administration of these agents is pain free, but doesn’t totally alleviate pain from the injection of dermoid fillers.They can also be used intra-orally prior to intra-oral anesthetic injections.
When using injectable fillers, nerve blocks with local anesthetics are extremely effective.This procedure is performed by infiltrating local anesthetic intra-orally in the area of the infra-orbital and mental nerves.This effectively provides anesthesia of the upper and lower lips and surrounding areas.This approach provides excellent anesthesia which is almost instantaneous.
Treating anxiety with valium is also helpful when these situations arise.Using topical anesthetics prior to injecting and giving these drugs adequate time to work is important as well.When injecting local anesthetics, it’s important to inject slowly to avoid unnecessary pain.When these steps are taken, treatment with injectable fillers can be a much more comfortable experience for patient

Lip enhancement with Restylane should not be painful.

With an adequate "dental" block, lip enhancement with Restylane should not be a painful procedure at all. One additional suggestion may be to ask your plastic surgeon if they offer topical anesthesia. The upside to topical anesthetics is less pain. The down side is that, in order to get maximum effect, the anesthetic must be applied to the skin for at least thirty minutes prior to the procedure. 

Brian Harmych, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon