Pain and Numbness After 3 Years of Rhinoplasty? (photo)

Hi. I am 31 yrs old and i would like to ask for a medical advice about my present condition. I have underwent a rhinoplasty for 3 years now.Although it went well and I had no complications, my problem is for the last two weeks now I have felt a numbness on the sides of my nose particularly on the cheeks and then it is sometimes accompanied by occasional pain on the bridge of the nose and sometimes even inside the nose.Though the pain is less and very minimal i get bothered now and afraid now.

If you had an implant, this could a sign of inflammation from the implant

+2

It is unusual to see symptoms like this so long after surgery. One exception is in the case of an implant having been placed in the nose.  I see that you are Asian and you have a fairly defined bridge which causes me to wonder if you had an implant placed to augment your bridge and/or tip previously.  If this is the case and the pain is focal and getting worse, it could mean that your body is reacting to the implant. If the skin becomes red over the implant, if there is discharge or if there is a break in the skin, these are more alarming signs of implant infection.  I would definately get an appointment with your surgeon or someone who is familiar with Asian rhinoplasty.  If the implant becomes infected, in my opinion it would need to be removed and likely replaced with a rib cartilage graft large enough to provide as much augmentation as the implant.  If I am wrong about the implant, then I do not have a good explanation for your symptoms.  Either way, go see your surgeon!

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain And Numbness At 3 Years After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Ling,

Pain and numbness at 3 years post-op are not normal symptoms. So, I recommend that you have your surgeon take a look at your nose and examine the area of matter.

If you had a silicone implant then what you have experience may be the start of a rejection process that requires immediate attention before things get worse and then you will be obligated to undergo surgery to remove your nasal implant.

I believe an antibiotic treatment could be a good start to rectify the situation.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Pain in nose and cheeks

+1

It appears you have a silicone implant in your nose. Perhaps your body is reacting to it..See your surgeon and get on antibiotics and a medrol dosepak quick. If it gets red warm soaks every hour. It may be nothing but I smell trouble

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Pain and numbness not normal 3 years after rhinoplasty.

+1

Pain and numbness are not normal 3years after rhinoplasty so see your surgeon. He can evaluate your symptoms.