Was I Overcharged For 70 Units of Botox?

I have been getting botox injections for several years. I recently moved to a new town and visited an aesthetic clinic. I feel like I have been robbed. I usually pay from $300-$375 per visit, so I was in shock when I was charged $980.00. I was told it took 70 units for my forehead and crows feet. Is this normal? It had been one year since my last injection.

BOTOX® Cosmetic injections can have varying costs depending on the injector and dose.

+2

The question is ‘What did you get for the $300-$375?’ versus the 70 units you had injected for $980 (which is very normal for a physician injector)?  Perhaps you were treated in just one area or not sufficiently in the previous clinic.   If you were injected in the glabella  (lines between eyebrows), the crow-s feet and the horizontal lines on the forehead, then the dosage used is within the normal range.  So, the answer would be ‘No, you were not overcharged for the number of units’.  Whether your dosage was appropriate for you or excessive is another question. Ask for a second opinion if you are unsure.

Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox pricing

+2

Your concerns are understandable. However, you were not over charged for your Botox. Botox can run anywhere from $10.00 to $15.00 per unit, depending on which city you live in. it is best to keep your Botox up every 3-4 months as you will get the best results & value from your injections.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most doctors seem to charge $11 to $12 per unit of Botox

+2

We are all seemingly unsure of what you actually had treated. The forehead refers to the frontalis muscle for most surgeons (transverse forehead lines).......this usually can be treated with 15-20 units of Botox. The crow's feet usually don't need more than 10 units per side, This adds up to about 40 units, most docs charge $11 to $12  per unit so I'd expect my patients to pay about $480.

Now if you add in the corrugator frown muscles that would increase the Botox units by another 30 units ($360) so that brings the total up to $840. Did you get these individual muscles treated? These muscles specifically cause transverse forehead lines, frown lines and crows feet lines. Only then can you determine whether you got value for your money . Even so, it seems a bit expensive.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

+2

In Miami the range in fee per unit is $10 to $15/unit. So 70 units on the low end is $700 on the high side $1050. So you fall in the middle area. 

Fees for Cosmetic Procedures Should Always Be Discussed First

+2

I agree that you were taken advantage of. In my office I will always discuss the cost of the treatment or procedure prior to doing it so that there are no misunderstandings. Otherwise you run the risk of an unhappy patient. Even relatively small fees are discussed first when it is an elective procedure. It would be especially important in your case with that kind of expense. On the other hand, you should have asked about the price before the treatment. I charge $10 per unit if you don't mind the trip to Burlington, Vermont!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Was too Much Botox Used?

+2

Hello Cynlyn.  If you were only getting the forehead and crow's feet treated (not including the areas between the eyes) then the amount of Botox used was probably too much.  We usually use between 30-40 units for the forehead and crow's feet.  If the glabella (between the eyes) is included, it usually goes up to 50-60 units.  In either case, it sounds like they may have used a bit much.

Regarding the price per unit, $14 may be a bit more than average in Los Angeles, but it's not completely out of line.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

70 units of BOTOX is a lot of units.

+2

This works out to be $14 per unit.  The real issues are: 1. Did you need all these units and 2. Did you get all of these units?  This much BOTOX should give you a frozen forehead that last 3-4 months.  I personally do not think a frozen forehead is an optimal forehead result.  The point is though that if you are happy with the treatment effects, the fee per unit is in line with what other offices charge.  On the other hand, if the treatment is not to your liking or it does not last nearly as long as the treatment you have had in the past, then something is up.  There are likely to be many injectors in your area to choose from.  Ultimately you get what you pay for.

Botox costs

+2

In our area Botox ranges from 12 to 16 dollars a unit.  So $980 for 70 units is not unreasonable.  Every geographic area has its own usual and customary charges.  And 70 units is not unusual for the face, although my injections usually end up being between 50-60.  The number of units depend on the size and strength of the facial muscles that one is injecting.  How many units did you have injected during your previous treatments?

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Costs

+2

No, you were not robbed.  The fee calculates to $14 per unit which is certainly within a normal spectrum of fees, although every region is somewhat different.  The quantity used was also not out of the ordinary for treatment of the glabella, horizontal forehead lines, and crow's feet.  More importantly, did you achieve the desired result?  If, yes, it was most likely the correct amount and placement.  If not, you need to return for a re-evaluation.

Alan Brackup, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox Charge

+1

Botox generally runs between $10/unit to $15/unit.  70 units seem high but if you trust the new office injected 70 units then $980 is on th high end of the range but not unreasonable.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS