Can I Still Kickbox After Otoplasty?

My ears stick out and I am consedring having otoplasty. I wanted to know if I could still kickbox ,and have otoplasty.

I saw this question about boxing and otoplasty. Some doctors say yes ,and some say no.

What are the chances of something going wrong? Will protective headgear protect the ear from being harmed? If I wait longer than the six weeks of healing time will it be safer to continue kickboxing?

Kickboxing and Otoplasty Surgery

+1

I also would tell you (if you were my patient) to NOT Kickbox after surgery.  If you are spending the time and money for a cosmetic result, you should want to do what you can to keep that result and trauma to the area can cause problems and recurrence (you would have to do revisionary surgery).  Think about it and see when the time is right for you.

Otoplasty

+1

Dear Shreveport,

As you can see, you get many different opinions on the subject.  I can understand how you would like an otoplasty if you don't like the way your ears look.  I also understand that we all want to live our lives the way we want.  If you do decide to get the procedure, you should understand the risks thoroughly.  You should give your ears at least few months (6 or so) to heal so that the sutures won't be undone by the trauma.

Maybe it'll make you a better kickboxer if you know you have to dodge more...

best,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

No More Kickboxing

+1

Otoplasty is a purely cosmetic procedure. If you are investing time and dollars into a procedure, I certainly suggest to patients to avoid activities which can negatively impact that procedure. Unfortunately kickboxing is a sport which can negatively impact your ears. With that in mind, I would suggest finishing your kickboxing then undergo otoplasty.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty

+1

I would recommend that you complete your kick boxing career prior to having an Otoplasty for all of the reasons already mentioned. Best of luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kickbox

+1

Though your ears may standup to repeated strikes, it would not be the recommended option for someone having this procedure. 

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Restricted Activity After Otoplasty

+1

Otoplasty surgery is performed to pin back the ears. Surgery involves cartilage sculpting techniques that reshape the ears.  After surgery it is important to refrain from vigorous physical activity, especially those where you risk hitting your ears.  

During the otoplasty recovery and at least the first 6 months after surgery, a bad blow to the ear can result in pulling and breaking of sutures that are vital to maintaining the ears shape.  I advise my patients to either refrain from these activities or wear a headband when performing such activities in order to prevent the ear being pulled on. The will make a big difference in the results after otoplasty surgery. Obviously you should consult with the surgeon that performs your procedure and follow their opinion as this will depend on what is done to the ear during surgery.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kickbox and otoplasty

+1

First, you have to let the ears heal for at least six to eight weeks before going back to exertional acitivity.  I think then after that point provided that everything has healed normally, you can go back to that activity as long as you wear protective head gear.  It is always good to dodge and weave to avoid the blows to the head.. Some advice I got from Mr. Myagi! 

Ear surgery/ Ottoplasty and kickboxing.

+1

Kickboxing after having ottoplasty or ear surgery puts you at risk for damaging the repair. I don't think that any protective gear may totally prevent it. I also echo the other answers and recommend waiting to have the surgery until after your kickboxing career slows down. K. Jacob Cohen-Kashi, New York Plastic Surgeon

Kambiz Jacob Cohen-Kashi, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Wait until kickboxing days are over before undergoing an otoplasty

+1

You can have an otoplasty and still kickbox if you don't mind the fact that there is a very high likelihood that the repair would be partially or totally damaged - even with headgear. My strong recommendation is consistent with several others that you have read: wait until your kickboxing days are over if you want to have a good chance of not requiring a secondary repair.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Combat sports and otoplasties

+1
My advice would be to wait until you no longer compete in sports wherein you are likely to be struck in the ears. Have otoplasties done later. If these sports are essential to your life for years to come, take your chances starting 6 months after surgery.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon