Can an Optometrist Perform Botox Injections?

Who can perform Botox injections?

+1

Botox is a precriptive drug which means that an MD or equivalent with prescriptive authority is responsible. Regulations vary state to sate and in Minnesota an MD must own the clinic and be responsible.  For more information Google safeandethicaldoctors.

Minneapolis Dermatologic Surgeon

It is subject to individual state laws and regulations

+1

Who can administer medical care, perform injections and administer BOTOX® is
subject to individual state laws and regulations. Some states permit nurses, nurse
practitioners, PAs, technicians to administer BOTOX ® under the supervision of a
physician. Certainly, any physician can administer BOTOX®. It is very important
to understand, however, that the administration of BOTOX® is both injecting a
medical substance as well as an art form. Results will vary from injector to injector
depending on many factors. In my opinion, it is best to have BOTOX® administered
by an experienced physician who consistently obtains optimum results

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Optometrists generally do not inject Botox

+1

This will vary by state. To the best of my knowledge Optometrists are not qualified to perform Botox injections.

Botox injections require MD supervision

+1

Botox is a precriptive drug which means that an MD or equivalent with prescriptive authority is responsible. Regulations vary by state as to who can do the injections under the doctor's authority. Typically this can be an RN, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant.

Richard Baxter, MD

Botox provider

+1

I am not aware that an optometrist can perform Botox, even if they are under the supervision of a physician. Nurses and physician assistants (P.A.s) can, in some states, perform the injections while they are being supervised by a licensed physician. Ophthalmologists are different than optometrists as they do have an M.D. degree so they are able to do the treatments.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Optometrist performing Botox injections?

+1

While regulations on who may administer Botox injections vary from state to state, most states allow physicians, physician's assistant or ARNP (nurse practitioner). Some states allow RN's to inject Botox, under the supervision of a physician.

As far as I know, no states allow, non-medical or peripheral medical providers like optometrists, chiropractors, cosmetologists or aestheticians to administer Botox.

Anifat Balogun, MD

It would depend on your State laws

+1

Optometrists are not medical doctors. They are not trained for invasive procedures. In all state in the United States optometrists are engaged in lobbying efforts to have state legislatures increase the scope of their practices. I am not aware that they have gained privileges for injecting Botox. You should check with your state optemetric board. However, why would you do this as these would be the least experienced individuals you could find for treatment.

An optometrist should not inject Botox. I am not aware of any optometrist that does do this

+1

In fact, it could be a criminal offense especially if it is not under the authority of a physician.  Only some practitioners are able to do this under a physician such as registered nurse, nurse practitioner and physician assitant as stated above.  Where I'm from there was an aesthetician that injected botox that was from a foreign country who caused some complications that lead to her being sentenced for criminal acts.  So I would definitely make sure the person doing these for you is licensed to do so for your safety.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

What an optometrist can do is regulated by the state

+1

No. What an optometrist can do is regulated by the state, and each state is different. I don’t think that optometrists can give injections (certainly not in NY State). In certain states they can prescribe medications and eye drops, but I don’t think they can do injections in any state. I certainly don’t recommend that you see an optometrist for BOTOX because either way, they are not trained to give injections. They’re not even trained to draw blood or use needles. And, they’re not trained to perform procedures. They’re strictly specialists in vision care. They can prescribe contact lenses and glasses, but they’re not technically trained in this way.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and qualified injector

+1

An optometrist is not a doctor and therefore can not inject Botox.  Go only to a board certified physician.