Botox or Dysport for Jaw Slimming?

How can you tell if dysport will make a difference in slimming the jaw. My face is oval with the exception of an angled jaw. When I clenched my teeth the area bulges a tiny bit. I can press down on the muscle and see a much slimmer face, but I don't want to spend the money if it will only help my tmj without slimming the area. Will a doctor be able to tell for sure? Will dysport or botox work better? How risky is this procedure? Will most drs charge by the area or unit due to complexity?

Masseter Botox Candidate?

+1

The masseter is a thick facial muscle. In human anatomy masseter is one of the muscles that facilitates chewing of the food. Cosmetic patients with masseteric hypertrophy can soften lower face features with Botox/ Dysport/Xeomin injections. These small injections effectively treat unwanted square-looking facial appearance with minimum discomfort during the procedure.

Botox or Dysport for Jaw Slimming

+1

Either Botox or Dysport can be injected in to the masseter muscle to effectively acheive a slimming jaw.  The goal is to atrophy the muscle enough so that it appears more narrow.  I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Schedule a consultation to see if you are a good candidate for Botox.

+1

Botox to the masseter muscle is reportedly performed to reduce the appearance of a the jaws. The masseter is quite a large and strong muscle. Partial paresis of the muscle may result in other portions bulging. This seems entirely possible and can easily be remedied with additional Botox as advised. This seems reasonable given the size of the muscle. 

Make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation and you will be advised if you are a good candidate for the procedure.  We charge by area. 

Botox Cosmetic for Bulging Jaw Muscles

+1

Botox Cosmetic has been used for patients who have large, bulging jaw muscles. Typically, the masseter muscle on the sides of the face are hypertrophied or large. Clenching or excess chewing can cause these muscle to bulge & grow. This large chewing muscle is more commonly seen in Asian patients. Botox Cosmetic relaxes these muscles and reduces the angled jaw to create a slimmer jawline. As plastic surgeons have already stated, use of Botox Cosmetic in this method is not FDA approved and considered off-label. Keep in mind that it takes time for the muscle mass to reduce in size. Usually, it can take several months to notice slimming of the jawline, with continued improvement over time. Not all Botox Cosmetic providers do this procedure. Speak with a specialist to help determine if Botox Cosmetic is appropriate for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox in the jaw

+1

Botox can be carefully given to the masseter muscle in the jawline, resulting in a slimmer lower face.  The masseter muscle may be enlarged  in patients who clench their teetch.  By relaxing the muscle, it will decrease in size and give a more narrow appearance of the lower face.

Joshua Zeichner, MD

Botox or Dysport both work equally well in decreasing the muscle mass of the jaw muscle called the masseter

+1

Botox or Dysport both work equally well in decreasing the muscle mass of the jaw muscle called the masseter.  This procedure is very safe. I have never had any serious issues with this use. The amount of botox or dysport to use is dependent on the person because everybody has different responses and different volume of muscle. I usually tell this to people and then explain that I recommend starting at a lower dose like 15-25 units of botox for each side.  Dysport requires 2.5 to 3.0 times the units of botox for equivalent dosing. 

Then I tell them that they can see if this adequate muscle relaxation in 2 weeks for botox and 1 week for dysport.  If there is still significant muscle movement of the masseter you can elect to do more.  One important point is that the muscle mass reduction lags behind the muscle movement.  It takes from 3-5 months to see the maximum volume changes in the masseter muscle and then it slowly increases the mass to normal by one year.  So, in short, there are some doctors that are seeing results from botox to the jaws for one year.  In my experience, the mass usually comes back earlier than this but the results are more longer lasting than what can be expected with other facial muscles.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Slimming the jaw with Botox or Dysport

+1

Botox and Dysport work similarly but most U.S. physicians have had less experience with Dysport as it was FDA approved last year and we have been using Botox for more than 17 years. It sounds like you are describing hypertrophic masseter muscles which may be treated with either Botox or Dysport. If nearby muscles are affected by the medicine, there may be a temporary but unwanted result such as a droop of the smile or inability to raise the upper lip. There might be more diffusion with Dypsort but this is still being explored. If there is greater diffusion to nearby areas with Dysport than it might be more risky to use it for this purpose.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox or dysport for jaw line

+1

If the masseter muscle is hypertrophic then it has been shown with multiple treatments with either Botox or dysport over extended periods of time the muscle  will slim down.

Botox for jaw slimming

+1

Bulky masseter muscles can be aggravated by clenching, making the jaw line appear bulky. Botox is one of the best options around for reducing the size of this muscle and creating a slimmer jawline. Rather than "plumping" like collagen and fat, Botox blocks the impulses that nerves send to muscles, essentially paralyzing the muscles and diminishing their ability to tense. Using a very fine needle, the surgeon injects botox in small doses where the facial muscles are most active--between the eyebrow and at the sides of the eyes, jawline or beside the mouth. After receiving treatment, you're forbidden to lie down for several hours, because the medicine can absorb unevenly. It takes one to three days to see the effects, and the treated area will continue to improve for up to two weeks. That's when I schedule my patients to return, to see if a touch-up is needed.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Off label use but routinely done

+1

Indianapolis is a good size city with excellent cosmetic surgery.  You still have to do your home work but I suspect you will find a well trained ethical surgeon who does Asian jaw line contouring with Botulinum toxin A.  Which product should you get: Botox or Dysport.  While these are truly not equivalent products, they are close enough that I would simply focus on finding the right doctor and go with their recommendations.  

This treatment is typically effective for about 3 or 4 months but this depends on dose.  Regarding price, again anyone can jockey a syringe of botulinum toxin A.  However, getting the best results requires, experience, judgement, and artistry.  These are things you pay for.  Getting the least expensive service most likely mean you are being treated by someone who is unable to compete based on the quality of their service.