Botox or Dysport for Jaw Slimming?

How can you tell if dysport will make a difference in slimming the jaw. My face is oval with the exception of an angled jaw. When I clenched my teeth the area bulges a tiny bit. I can press down on the muscle and see a much slimmer face, but I don't want to spend the money if it will only help my tmj without slimming the area. Will a doctor be able to tell for sure? Will dysport or botox work better? How risky is this procedure? Will most drs charge by the area or unit due to complexity?

Botox and Dysport for jaw slimming

Thank you for your question. Botox or Dysport can be a very effective way to contour the jaw line by reducing the masseter shadow through the outer jaw skin. In addition, it can reduce symptoms of jaw clenching or grinding of teeth at night time. This is an advanced technique that requires a strong understanding of the underlying anatomy. Some side effects can results in some very unintented effects. This can include affecting the smile due to diffusion of the Botox into neighboring smile muscles. Over treatment can also overweaken your jaw muscles making it harder to chew food and causes your jaw muscles to relax too much when you sleep.
The injection technique does vary by physical exam and the goals of the treatment. Facial contouring goals may change the injection sites themselves to affect different portions of the masseter as well as the dose. The strength of the masseters can be felt by palpation and also helps me to determine dosing. In general, I start with 15- 25 units of Botox (OR 50-75 units of Dysport) per side for most patients. If the have very strong masseters, then I may increase the dose, but more commonly ask them to return in three weeks for a touch up. Once you get the desired result, I let patients know that future treatments may require less to maintain the look or the jaw clenching symptoms, especially if they get treated as soon as they notice the symptoms return. This can be as soon as three to four months, but in some cases, patients report that it lasts six months or more. I find it depends on the dose we use and how many times we have done the procedure as the duration may lengthen for patients that repeat it regularly.

Masseter Botox Candidate?

The masseter is a thick facial muscle. In human anatomy masseter is one of the muscles that facilitates chewing of the food. Cosmetic patients with masseteric hypertrophy can soften lower face features with Botox/ Dysport/Xeomin injections. These small injections effectively treat unwanted square-looking facial appearance with minimum discomfort during the procedure.

Tatiana Khrom, MD

Botox or Dysport for Jaw Slimming

Either Botox or Dysport can be injected in to the masseter muscle to effectively acheive a slimming jaw.  The goal is to atrophy the muscle enough so that it appears more narrow.  I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Schedule a consultation to see if you are a good candidate for Botox.

Botox to the masseter muscle is reportedly performed to reduce the appearance of a the jaws. The masseter is quite a large and strong muscle. Partial paresis of the muscle may result in other portions bulging. This seems entirely possible and can easily be remedied with additional Botox as advised. This seems reasonable given the size of the muscle. 

Make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation and you will be advised if you are a good candidate for the procedure.  We charge by area. 

Botox Cosmetic for Bulging Jaw Muscles

Botox Cosmetic has been used for patients who have large, bulging jaw muscles. Typically, the masseter muscle on the sides of the face are hypertrophied or large. Clenching or excess chewing can cause these muscle to bulge & grow. This large chewing muscle is more commonly seen in Asian patients. Botox Cosmetic relaxes these muscles and reduces the angled jaw to create a slimmer jawline. As plastic surgeons have already stated, use of Botox Cosmetic in this method is not FDA approved and considered off-label. Keep in mind that it takes time for the muscle mass to reduce in size. Usually, it can take several months to notice slimming of the jawline, with continued improvement over time. Not all Botox Cosmetic providers do this procedure. Speak with a specialist to help determine if Botox Cosmetic is appropriate for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox in the jaw

Botox can be carefully given to the masseter muscle in the jawline, resulting in a slimmer lower face.  The masseter muscle may be enlarged  in patients who clench their teetch.  By relaxing the muscle, it will decrease in size and give a more narrow appearance of the lower face.

Joshua Zeichner, MD

Botox or Dysport both work equally well in decreasing the muscle mass of the jaw muscle called the masseter

Botox or Dysport both work equally well in decreasing the muscle mass of the jaw muscle called the masseter.  This procedure is very safe. I have never had any serious issues with this use. The amount of botox or dysport to use is dependent on the person because everybody has different responses and different volume of muscle. I usually tell this to people and then explain that I recommend starting at a lower dose like 15-25 units of botox for each side.  Dysport requires 2.5 to 3.0 times the units of botox for equivalent dosing. 

Then I tell them that they can see if this adequate muscle relaxation in 2 weeks for botox and 1 week for dysport.  If there is still significant muscle movement of the masseter you can elect to do more.  One important point is that the muscle mass reduction lags behind the muscle movement.  It takes from 3-5 months to see the maximum volume changes in the masseter muscle and then it slowly increases the mass to normal by one year.  So, in short, there are some doctors that are seeing results from botox to the jaws for one year.  In my experience, the mass usually comes back earlier than this but the results are more longer lasting than what can be expected with other facial muscles.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Slimming the jaw with Botox or Dysport

Botox and Dysport work similarly but most U.S. physicians have had less experience with Dysport as it was FDA approved last year and we have been using Botox for more than 17 years. It sounds like you are describing hypertrophic masseter muscles which may be treated with either Botox or Dysport. If nearby muscles are affected by the medicine, there may be a temporary but unwanted result such as a droop of the smile or inability to raise the upper lip. There might be more diffusion with Dypsort but this is still being explored. If there is greater diffusion to nearby areas with Dysport than it might be more risky to use it for this purpose.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox or dysport for jaw line

If the masseter muscle is hypertrophic then it has been shown with multiple treatments with either Botox or dysport over extended periods of time the muscle  will slim down.

Botox for jaw slimming

Bulky masseter muscles can be aggravated by clenching, making the jaw line appear bulky. Botox is one of the best options around for reducing the size of this muscle and creating a slimmer jawline. Rather than "plumping" like collagen and fat, Botox blocks the impulses that nerves send to muscles, essentially paralyzing the muscles and diminishing their ability to tense. Using a very fine needle, the surgeon injects botox in small doses where the facial muscles are most active--between the eyebrow and at the sides of the eyes, jawline or beside the mouth. After receiving treatment, you're forbidden to lie down for several hours, because the medicine can absorb unevenly. It takes one to three days to see the effects, and the treated area will continue to improve for up to two weeks. That's when I schedule my patients to return, to see if a touch-up is needed.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD