What are options to enhance my deflated and wrinkly labia majora? (photo)

I'm 36 & I've experienced EXTREME rapid aging of my nether regions. I used to have an attractive situation down there but in the past year or so my labia majora have deflated & my minora have gone from pink to dark brown with discoloration of the majora also. I feel like I suddenly look like an 80 year old down there. Is this normal for my age? Can the excess/loose skin be trimmed from the majora, or is there a laser that can possibly improve the quality of that skin? How about the color?

Deflated labia majora

+2
I reviewed your photos.  You have some excess labia majora skin with some deflation.  If you have fat injections to plump up your majora, then your majora may be bulky in tight clothes.  I developed a majora skin reduction procedure which has minimal scars and eliminates the wrinkling. In some cases, I may remove the excess skin and also inject fat to plump up your majora.  I suggest you include photos standing the determine which is the best treatment- skin removal, fat injections, or a combination of both.  Your labia minora can be reduced, but you also might need a clitoral hood reduction with a clitoropexy to decrease the hood protrusion.  

Labiaplasty can help address loose skin

+1
Labiaplasty can certainly help remove the excess skin that exists, however it cannot address any discolouration effectively. Labiaplasty can be performed by laser or be excision. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Labial fillers for the labia minora and majora

+1
Labial fat grafting or Labial fillers may further enhance the interface between the labia majora and labia minora. Our office specializes in labiaplasty surgery and labial rejuvenation.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

What are options to enhance my deflated and wrinkly labia majora?

+1
There are two general types of procedures that can be performed on this region: addition of volume or removal of excess tissue (or both). Based on this photo I would probably recommend an augmentation of what you describe (and what looks like) deflated tissue. The most common material used at present is your own tissue - fat. It's a somewhat more involved procedure than one might think. Fat needs to be removed from one part of your body, prepared for injection (often involving concentrating the fat) and then injected. The post-op period can be uncomfortable and the procedure may need to be repeated for maximum effect but, all thing considered, that's probably what I'd recommend. 

I hope oped that this helps and good luck,

Dr E
Member of RealSelf 100

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Female Genital Cosmetic Surgery

+1
Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years. Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry". Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result. Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function. And finally, most patients are also quite self-conscious about the darkly pigmented edges of the labia minora, thus desire removal of most if not all of this part.To achieve these three most important elements, I prefer the “Trim” much over the “Wedge” method.I personally have also found the scar to be better concealed and less perceptible with the Trim method.  And by the way, the same can be done for the labia majora (outer lips) to kind of snug them up again.  I don not recommend fat grafting as there is wide variation in outcomes and intense prolonged swellling post-operatively.  As you can see, it is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (performs at least 1 - 2 per week). It may cost you a bit more but it this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life. Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.

Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly. Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there. Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation. No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks. My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labia Majora rejuvenation

+1
Your labia majors would likely be nicely rejuvenated with volume using your own tissue with fat grafting. You may also consider labiaplasty for your labia minora. Fat grafting will fill the labia majora likely removing the wrinkles appearance and labiaplasty will remove the excess labia minora tissue. Good luck

Gaurav Bharti

Gaurav Bharti, MD
Johnson City Plastic Surgeon

Some things can be fixed....

+1
And somethings, cannot.  Here's what I mean:

The problem with the labia major in loss of the natural fatty tissue that is typical with the youthful body.  Although skin can be trimmed when needed, the real solution is add back the volume.  This can be done with fat grafting, which is a technique that allowed taking fat (with small needles) from one part of the body (usually the tummy) and transferring it (with even smaller needles) to area where we need it (typical areas are breast and face, but this has been done by plastic surgeons for the labia major also).

There are no good solutions at this time to the color problem however, so I would not want to see someone in your shoes waste their hard-earned dollars on treatments that won't work.  I think it's just as important to tell patients what's likely to work, as it is to tell them what is NOT likely to work.

Just be sure to see a surgeon who's not only experienced with labiaplasty work, but also with fat grafting.  Also beware that the most common problem with fat grafting is that not all the transferred fat "takes," so it sometimes has to be repeated until enough volume takes for a good result that will make the patient happy.

Reza Momeni, MD

Reza Momeni, MD
Summit Plastic Surgeon