Could I Change my Dental Crown After Discolouration?

Change Color of Dental Crown after Placement

+1

You can always change the dental crown after discoloration, but I am afraid, you will be responsible or the cost.  The only reason that I would bear the cost is the color we decided on was darker than the rest of your teeth.  Porcelain crowns last for a long time without darkening. The darkening occurs with your natural teeth and not the porcelain crowns. I am so sorry that you are unhappy with your crown!

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Can Your Dentist Change the Color of a Porcelain Crown after it Has Been Cemented Onto the Tooth?

+1

There is only one instance that I might consider trying to change the color of a crown that has been cemented into place, and that is IF 1) the color of the crown is DARKER than the adjacent teeth, and 2) if the ceramist put a surface layer of color onto the crown.  If both of those two conditions are met, the dentist might "try" to remove the darker surface layer of porcelain with polishing diamonds and polishers, leaving a slightly lighter final color. 

If that doesn't work, or wasn't possible because the two conditions weren't met, then replacing the crown with a better matching color crown would be the best way to go.

However, saying all of that, today using highly polishable modern dental porcelain for crowns rarely results in the crown changing color over time.  More often than not, it is the other adjacent natural teeth that discolor over time.  One exception might be when a semi-translucent ALL-porcelain crown (i.e. no metal underneath) is used and the underlying tooth discolors over time, yielding a darker looking tooth.  This happens occasionally when a tooth undergoes trauma (called traumatic discoloration) and/or ends up needing a root canal treatment.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Changing a Dental Crown after Discoloration

+1

A dental crown can always be changed. The dentist will charge you for making a new crown. I'm not sure what you are asking. Is it a brand new crown? What discolored, the crown or your other surrounding teeth?

New York Cosmetic Dentist

You definitely can.

+1

Crowns don't often change color so it would be good to know the cause of the discoloration as that can be indicative of a definite need to redo crown.  Is it more in the root or gums at the edge of the crown?  Have you done recent bleaching where your other teeth look whiter making the crown appear to be now darker than it used to?

If you have dental insurance and want to make sure they will pay their portion they likely won't if the crown is less than five years old and you've been on that same insurance plan for the past five years. 

Issaquah Cosmetic Dentist

Yes

+1

You can always change crowns. If the crown is discolored over time  you have to know why it happened. Was it a translucent crown and the underlying tooth color change?

Irvine Cosmetic Dentist