Numbness Eyelid Surgery?

How long after undergoing eyelid surgery should numbness around the eyes reside?

Numbness is temporary

+1

Numbness around the eyelid area is an expected temporary outcome after undergoing blepharoplasty. The sensation does return in a few weeks.

Everyone is little different

+1

Having gone through a blepharoplasty procedure myself I can testify about the numbness personally.  I found it was temporary and once it went away it didn't come back.  It was really three to four weeks before I had full feeling in all four lids.

This is typical for my patients as well.  A few of them take longer, more like six weeks.  Rarely will numbness in the eyelids last longer than that.

Did it bother me?  No, since I don't wear makeup.  But my female patients tell me that it was strange putting their eyeliner on when they couldn't feel it and even stranger taking it off later.  But thankfully it all comes back eventually.

Phillip C. Haeck, MD

Numbness after Eyelid Surgery?

+1

Numbness may persist for several months after any type of facial surgery.

Numbness after eyelid surgery

+1

I would say that 50% of it should subside after 6 weeks, but there can be some residual areas that might take  6 months on occasion.  Every patient is different though.

Julio Garcia, MD

Numb Eyelids After Surgery

+1

During eyelid surgery, it is common for the small branches of sensory nerves to be cut. These nerve endings regenerate, usually after 3 - 6 months.  Most likely, your numbness will resolve in time.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Numbness after eyelid surgery

+1

One could have numbness for three months after eyelid surgery, but it should not be severe, and really mostly noticeable when touching th eeyelid directly.

Robert Schwarcz, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon