Will Hot Compresses Breakdown Fatty Tissue Under Eyelids?

My Dr tells me I have excess fatty tissue under my eyelids. He said to use hot compresses to breakdown this fatty tissue. Everything I have read in my research says the only way to deal with this is surgery. He never mentioned surgery. I don't know what to do and could use some more information.

+2

You have stirred many answers from the expert posters. Guess the hot/warm compresses idea is something you should teach your surgeon not to offer. 

Hot compresses will not break down fatty tissue

+2

I'm afraid it's time to find another doctor. Not only will this 'solution' not help, but could potentially be harmful! Your research has served you well, surgery correction is your only viable option. Good work! Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Hot compresses and fat reduction?

+2

I like hot showers, and I have yet to see my love handles go away!  The only way to remove fat around the eyes is to excise it.

Will heat reduce under-eye bags?

+2

Many people believe that warm compresses can reduce swelling or edema (fluid) under the eyes.  It will not influence the fat under the eyes.  The best way to address lower eyelid fat pouches is with surgical blepharoplasty or in some cases they can be disguised with injectable fillers. A consultation with a cosmetic surgeon that specializes in eyelid procedures, such as an oculoplastic surgeon will be of benefit. Good luck! 

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
Rochester Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hot compresses will have no effect on fatty tissue-except to get you wet!

+1

I can't imagine what your doctor was thinking!  Hot compresses will not reduce fatty tissue under the eyes.  Seaweed or cucumber facials would temporarily tighten the skin for that special event but would not improve your condition either.  The only way to reduce the fatty tissue is by surgical excision OR, if the problem is that you have lost volume in your mid-cheeks which is creating the impression of bulges under the eyes, facial filler may be an alternative.  You need a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can make a recommendation for you and discuss options. 

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Fat pads in eyelids and appropriate treatment

+1

i am not aware of heat helping.   they can be removed.  lasered , cauterized, transposed but generally surgery is needed

Hot compresses to melt fat

+1

I do not think the hot compresses will help, the degree of heat needed to damage the fat would first damage your cornea and vision.

Julio Garcia, MD

Treatment of lower eyelid fat

+1

I ha in looking better.

I have never heard of a recommendation to use hot water on eyelids to remove the fat!  The only way to reduce the fat that is commonly seen in the lower lids will be to perform surgery.  Sometimes fat may be redistributed or repositioned along the lower lids to fill in hollow areas below the lid margins, but more commonly excessive amounts of fat are removed by a traditional lower lid blepharoplasty. This is a prime example why second and third opinions may be invaluable before you settle on a surgeon to assist you in looking better.

Good luck.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

+1

No, hot compresses will have no effect on lower eyelid fatty tissue.  Lower eyelid surgery is the only way to decrease eyelid fat bags.

Lower eyelid surgery

+1

As everyone agrees There must be some miscommunication here. I will bet anything if you ask your doctor again There will be a different answer. Intuitively I am sure you do that yourself. That surgery is usually performed from the inside before leaving no scar and the results are very long lasting.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon