Numbness on Forehead After Brow Lift

I am four weeks post op an open Brow lift and upper eyelid surgery. The swelling has gone down a lot, but my forehead is still numb, especially on the right side. When will this completely go down and get the feeling back? Also, I still feel some pressure on the part that is numb--almost like someone is pushing on my forehead.

Numbness after browlift

+2

Transient numbness after open or endoscopic brow lift is very common. Often times, the nerve which provides sensation to the forehead doesn't function properly secondary to swelling and bruising of the nerve. This is referred to as a neuropraxic nerve injury. Normal recovery of sensation is expected, but it can take several months to 2 years. The nerve in question (supraorbital nerve) will slowly regenerate fibers at a maximal rate of 1 mm/day (an inch/month). You may experience paresthesias (electrical jolts or a marching sensation) as nerve recovery happens. The pressure you describe is also quite normal.

Best of luck.

Brow lift - numbness

+1

Patients can occasionally feel some numbness after surgery.  However, this usually resolves in several months.  I would definitely talk to your surgeon about this if you have any concerns.  

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Browlift numbness

+1

This is a complaint of a modest number of patients after a browlift. Usually it is one sided. Most times the numbness resolves in 1-6 months. Relax and enjoy the improvement in your appearance.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Numbness after Browlift

+1

Altered feeling is sometimes present 4 weeks after a browlift. Hopefully, this will improve over the next several months. There is no treatment available to improve or accelerate recovery. The "pressure" you're feeling is secondary to the numbness. Patience is your best coarse at present.

Nerve recovery is likely.

+1

Return of forehead sensation after brow lift can improve over a two year period subsequent to the surgical procedure.

There are many different techniques utilized and it is difficult to assess the potential for nerve injury from your description.

We are generally more concerned with the motor nerve as this is more vulnerable to permanent injury.

It will likely come back with time. In the meantime protect it from injury or sun burn.

Generally as time proceeds you will appreciated a "marching" return of sensation. Nerves return and grow an average of 1 inch per month.