Swelling After Brow Lift, Eyelid Surgery, Fraxel Laser

I had an open Brow Lift, upper Eyelid Surgery, and Fraxel Laser under my eyes and on my cheeks. I am super swollen, my eyes two little slits. I am very depressed and did know I would swell this much. I look unrecognizable. How long till swelling goes down? I am worried my eyes won't look like me--like maybe they will be too hollow or something.

Swelling Following Facial Rejuvenation Procedures

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to experience significant facial swelling following combination facial rejuvenation procedures.  In the short term this can lead to emotional distress and depression.

The recovery from combination facial rejuvenation surgery varies from patient to patient. The majority of patients have recovered significantly in 10-14 days  and are able to resume most of their normal activities.  At this point most of the swelling and bruising have resolved completely.

The majority of pain is gone in 2 to 3 days following surgery.  During this period of time, patients are given narcotic pain relievers and then switched to double strength Tylenol.  Strenuous activities that might raise blood pressure should be avoided for about 4 to 6 weeks.  At this time, recovery is complete and patients should be able to resume normal activaties without restrictions.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Browlift, Eyelift and Fraxel Laser.

+1

Hard to tell the extent of swelling without photos.  Also how long post surgery are you.  Swelling is normal at first.  Our office suggests elevation and ice.  Each surgeon is different.  Please contact your surgeon and let him/her know.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Swelling after a Brow Lift and Eyelid Surgery is to be expected

+1

With that combination of procedures, it is not surprising that you're experiencing significant swelling, more than either procedure if done by itself. Your swelling will peak at the 2- or 3-day mark. Ice packs (not directly on the skin) can minimize swelling during this time period. In most cases it will progressively decrease rapidly over the next two weeks. If swelling persists after two weeks, consult your surgeon.

Tips for reducing swelling/bruising:

• Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, naprosyn and other NSAID's prior to surgery and for a week afterward.
  • Consider use of Bromelain or Arnica if not allergic.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Swelling to last at least one month after surgery.

+1
There is a moderate amount of swelling after that combination of surgeries. All three, browlift, eyelid surgery, and Fraxel, create a moderate amount of edema throughout the entire face. It is going to be normal to have some degree of swelling after these three procedures for at least one month from the postoperative period.

Time Will Heal

+1

You had a significant amount of surgery, all in the same area so significant swelling is to be expected.  The first few days are the worst but by two week most of the selling should have relaxed.  Your surgeon may want to use a dose of steroids if your still swollen after two to three weeks.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Most swelling resolves after 5-7 days

+1

It sounds like you had a significant amount of work around your eyes and brow area. For most people, swelling peaks at 4-5 days and then starts to resolve after that. If your swelling is staying much longer than that, you should go see your surgeon to make sure things are healing as they should. They can recommend local care techniques that might help out the healing process.

Good luck.

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Swelling is common after all these procedures

+1

When you combine three procedures known to cause swelling around the periorbital area, it is not surprising that you are having a significant issue with all that swelling. It is hard to answer your questions without knowing how long it has been since your procedure. You will likely need to wait for 2 months for all the swelling to substantially improve. The suggestions for cold compresses, possible steroids early after surgery, and supplements like Arnica are very good ones. Talk to your surgeon about your concerns and have faith. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Eyelid, laser surgery and swelling

+1

Dear Poco1234, how long is it since your surgery?

Swellling is a response to injury...... and you have had a few of them! To help with your recovery there are several 'naturopathic' supplements that can help. also you may inquire with your doctor about taking a steroid dose pack to help with the acute swelling. The worst swelling is in the first 3 to 5 days after a procedure and should rapidly improve over the first 4 weeks.

Make sure that there is nothing wrong- infection, blood collection etc....

With Wam Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

You are entitled to swelling

+1

You have a had a lot of action around a small anatomical area and are entitled to a significant degree of swelling and bruising. Don't even look at yourself critically for a number of weeks. Although you cannot predict or project what you will look like, certainly the swelling you see is temporary and may not impact the final result at all. Ask your surgeon what he suggests to reduce it quicler. I usually advise applying vold compresses for five minutes every hour that you are awake for the first 3-5 days. As the swelling abates, bruising will remain, At that time, I switch to warm, not hot, compresses for 4-5 minutes followed immediately by a cold compress for 4-5 minutes every 2-3 hours or as frequently as possible. Sleep on a couple of pillow to prevent dependent edema. Be patient, have faith, and don't worry about things you can't control. It's like a rollercoaster. Your ride will end soon.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Swelling After Multiple Facial Treatments

+1

Hi Poco,

These are questions that you really need to address to your surgeon who will be able to answer them most accurately. 

I hope that you have a speedy recovery and that you are very happy with your results.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD