I Am Noticing a Nasty Odor Around the Nipple Graft Area, Could It Be Infected?

I had a breast reduction one and a half weeks ago. Although I shower daily and change the dressings, I am noticing an odor from the nipple graft area. I am losing sleep and worried that there is an infection going on. Please help ease my mind.

Odor around nipple

+2

I would recommend that you call plastic surgeon right away - there is no substitute for an examination and you might have an infection that needs to be treated. 

+1

Yes, it could but in most cases these issues can be handled with local wound care and they normally resolve well.  Whether or not that is the case for you is not possible to determine via this forum, so you'll need to see your PS or another board-certified PS near you.  Fortunately, most situations such as these heal well.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Infection after Surgery

+1

Unfortunately, the only way you will have real peace of mind is to be seen by your plastic surgeon for direct examination. This is  the only way to check for signs of infection.

Foul odor from nipple-areola graft needs to be evaluated immediately

+1

It is possible that you either have an infection or necrosis of some of the tissue (it did not survive). Typically, this is often checked by one week. 

I recommend that you contact your plastic surgeon immediately to have him/her evaluate the status of your nipple-areola graft. This would obviously involve removal of the bolus dressing.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD