Nostrils Show After Rhinoplasty - Will This Change Once Swelling Reduces?

I had a rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago to date and I am extremely worried about the initial results. My nose seems too high, round and my nostrils are showing from front. Prior to the surgery, I had a droopy nose and my nostrils did not show at all. My doctor said a week ago that the nose will come down with time, taking that into consideration, should I also expect the nostrils to not show when the swelling goes down? can this only be fixed via rivison rhinoplasty?

Nostril show

+1
A postop AP and lateral view is necessary to determine how your nostrils, or ala, have been affected after surgery.  If the ala are retracted, a simple graft procedure can correct this.  However, it is too early to contemplate revision surgery at 2 weeks.  Keep in touch with your surgeon. 

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Excessive Nostril Show

+1

The concern you have is the result of the position of the columella or center part of your nose.  While two weeks is too soon to judge, in my experience, this problem improves but does not completely resolve over time.  The good news is that often this can be corrected fairly easily.  At this point, I would urge you to be patient and let the swelling go down and the tip position relax.  The very worst thing that you could do is try and fix this problem now.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and Tip Rotation after Rinoplasty

+1

Dear rhinoplasty patient from Hinsdale, IL,
I reviewed your post operative rhinoplasty photo. It seems to be fine and there is expected amount of swelling from what I can see. Since you had your rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago, there is certain amount of swelling and tip rotation that all will subside with time. Please be patience and trust your surgeon's opinion. You will be fine, you have a normal post operative anxiety. He did a good job.

Kevin Sadati, DO

You don't appear to have too much nostril show 2 weeks after your Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I reviewed your photo and your concern. Your tip will drop a few millimeters over the ensuing months. In my view, you don't have excessive nostril show in the photo you provided. My hunch is that you'll end up happy with your result. I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

I am worried that my nostrils show 2 weeks after a nose job to fix a droopy nose!

+1

After fixing a droopy nose, the nasal tissues are firm because they are swollen, just like your ankle might swell after a sprain.  The swelling will change the shape of the nose, just like inflating air into a droopy balloon will cause it to stand erect.  Rest assured that the situation is temporary.  We take photos of patients during the swelling phase to demonstrate how the shape changes as the swelling resolves.  The nose is  notoriously slow in getting back to normal, so patience is key while healing.  

Claudio DeLorenzi MD FRCS

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

Prominent nostrils after nose job (rhinoplasty)

+1

Prominent appearance to the nostrils is a common complaint in the early post-oeprative period following rhinoplasty. This generally resolves but may take up to 3 months.

Rhinoplasty swelling

+1

You are only two weeks post rhinoplasty, giv eit some time to heal.  The swelling will take some time to dissipate and the tip and nostrils may drop a bit.

Upturned nose and nostril show after rhinoplasty

+1

I know it hard not to be a little anxious about the result after investing so much, but the key is patience. The nasal tip does tend to drop in the postoperative period which is why we often heavily support it with tape. Don't worry, give it time to heal.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty - changes

+1

The final result of rhinoplasty is a combination of surgery (changing your anatomy) and healing.  2 weeks after your surgery is definitely too early to know what your final look will be.  If you had a droopy nasal tip before surgery, it often takes a little time to get used to the way your nose looks in it's new position.  Please be patient!  It takes time to heal from this surgery.  

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD