Nose Whistling and Stuffiness After Revision Rhinoplasty

I recently had a revision rhinplasty in a prestigious hospital in Chicago. At 7 weeks after surgery, I feel as though I have a stuffy feeling in my nose, and when I take a deep breath, my nose has a whistling sound. Am I too early in the process yet, or should I be more concerned with this issue? Please help, thank you.

Whistling after revision rhinoplasty

+2

Whistling seven weeks after a rhinoplasty can mean any one of a several things, only one of which is a septal perforation. Any distrubance in intranasal contour that results in irregular narrowing or non-laminar airflow can cause this. Make sure you discuss your concerns with your surgeon. He/she may be able to use a scope to examine you intranasally and give you a better idea what is going on.

Hope this helps.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty with Stuffiness and Whistling 7 Weeks After Surgery

+2

Hi Chicago,

You should voice your concerns with your surgeon. A nasal cleaning may be beneficial. It is unusual to have whistling from the nose at this point following surgery. You should be examined.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Whistling could mean a few things

+1
  1. Dry nose with crusting inside the nasal cavity
  2. Nasal obstruction as a result of swelling or collapse
  3. Perforation of the septum (hole between the partition of the nose)

See your surgeon and have him/her look inside your nose

Sam Naficy, MD

Nose whistling after surgery may indicate a problem

+1

The most important issue you have to have addressed is wheather or not the whistling is from a septal perforation or just from dried mucous and congestion (which is less likely). You should return for a follow up examination as soon as you can so your surgeon can evaluate you.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Whistling After Rhinoplasty May Be A Septal Perforation

+1

Whistling after a rhinoplasty surgery may indicate a septal perforation. This can be diagnosed even 7 weeks after surgery and is something that will not get better with time. As for your stuffiness, this may be postoperative edema and get better or may be unrelated. I would agree with the suggestion to visit your surgeon to get a better idea of what may be going on.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Follow up with your surgeon

+1

Whistling after a rhinoplasty might indicate that there may be a septal perforation inside the nose. It is important for you to follow up with your original surgeon to make sure that this does not occur. The stuffiness in the nose can be related to allergies, sinus problems, turbinate hypertrophy, and simply edema from prior edema surgery.

Swelling after revision rhinoplasty

+1

I agree that the problem you are experiencing will likely resolve as the swelling goes away.  There are several possible causes, but swelling is the most likely cause. 

I would have a visit with your surgeon if this doesn't go away.

Behrooz Torkian, MD

It is too soon to say.

+1

It will probably go away with time. It takes at least 6 months for that swelling to go down. If you still have it return to the original surgeon.