Average Revision Rhinoplasty Cost with the Same Doctor?

My plastic surgeon says that my nasal bone must have collapsed post-surgery, and I need a revision. He has yet to quote a price and I am worried because I cannot afford another. When something like this occurs, what is the usual cost? Is it the same as a normal rhinoplasty when you go to the same doctor? Also, what does it mean when a nasal bone collapses (I know I should have listened more, but when he said I needed another, I nearly fainted)? How is it possible that I can breathe fine even if the nasal bone has collapsed?

Revision cost should depend on the cause

+1

Although the specific policies for revisions differ from surgeon to surgeon, in general most plastic surgeons will not charge for the surgical component of a revision if the initial surgical result was suboptimal.  You will normally have to pay for the anesthesia and facility fee.  If the surgical result was fine but you are slightly unhappy, then most surgeons will charge for their full fee.

A collapsed nasal bone is clearly an unfortunate result and if identified immediately, could possibly have been corrected non-surgically.  Once it is healed, it is a difficult procedure to get right.  Although I am in agreement that you should start with your original surgeon, make sure that they are confident that they can correct the problem.  Sometimes it is best to choose another surgeon if the first lacks the experience to complete a difficult revision. 

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhino with same doc costs less

+1

Remember that your surgeon is as picky if not more picky than you are.  He wants you to be happy.  Revision rhino usually costs drastically less when performed by the same doc and a portion of it may be covered by insurance.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Rhinoplasty is not one operation, but rather many potential procedures to improve the appearance and function of the nose. The cost of rhinoplasty varies greatly, but it's usually similar for plastic surgeons in your area. Portions of rhinoplasty surgery may also be covered by your insurance provider. Rhinoplasty cost is depends on several factors, but largely dependent on the following:

Region - Beverly Hills rhinoplasty more expensive than rural Midwest

Complexity - Full rhinoplasty treating many parts of the nose and requiring anesthesia is more expensive than simple procedures isolated to specific areas which may be performed with local anesthesia

Revision rhinoplasty - Revision surgery more expensive than primary surgery

Surgeon - Some plastic surgeons charge significantly more or less than their peers

Revision procedures with the same plastic surgeon generally have a much lower cost. Revision procedures may be minor or major, and can occur at anytime after the initial nasal surgery.

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/resources/financing.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty almost always costs more

+1

Except when its performed by the same surgeon. Then it is usually less than the original price. Often the surgeon will not charge his/her fee but the usual facility charge and anesthetic fees will apply. This is because the revision work is usually a 'touch up'. If the nose needs to be significantly reconstructed, usually there has been a break down in the patient confidence and a new surgeon is selected for the revision work.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

The best surgeon may be the original surgeon

+1

The surgeon who performed the procedure is most interested in the patient being satisfied and having an excellent result.  In many cases they may perform a minor revision for "operative costs" or at no cost at all depending on the circumstance.  Have a meeting with the surgeon and express your concerns, the surgeon may prove much more receptive than you imagined.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty costs

+1

The cost for revision rhinoplasty surgery from the same surgeon should be significantly less than going to another surgeon. Typically, most rhinoplastic surgeons will discount their fees in order to perform a revision. Going elsewhere could cost you almost double what your original fee was. As far as nasal bone collapse, this can sometimes occur after rhinoplasty and may be a simple straightforward procedure to repair. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Revision Rhinoplasty with the same Surgeon

+1

It is possible to have nasal bone collapse after a rhinoplasty without compromised nasal breathing. I don't know any surgeons that charge as much for the revision as they did for the original surgery unless this was discussed pre-operatively. Nasal bone collapse means there is abnormal position or contour of the bones. Ask your surgeon for clarification.

Cost of Revision Rhinoplasty Depends on What Needs to Be Done

+1

The cost of revision rhinoplasty can vary significantly depending on what needs to be done to correct the problems with the nose. Sometimes a revision is a minor undertaking and can be accomplished in the office with local anesthetic. Most surgeons will correct imperfections that weren't adequatelty addressed or arose from the original surgery for their own patients at no additional charge. This is something that varies from practice to practice.

If you are seeking a complete "re-do" by another surgeon, the cost can range from $6,000 to $25,000. With major structural deformities, cartilage grafts are required to rebuild the nasal framework. Septal cartilage, while the preferred source of cartilage grafts, has usually been depleted during the first operation. Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeons then have to "borrow" cartilage from another part of the body - such as the ear or rib. This increases the operative time and cost.

Web reference: http://rhinoplasty-usa.com/html/meet-dr-cochran.html

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Each surgeon may have a different revision policy

+1

Every physician has a different policy. However, the bottom line is that most surgeons will try to achieve and optimal outcome. It is in everyones best interest. There are several different reasons why the nasal bone could have collapsed and noone can tell you for sure.

Discuss your financial concerns with your surgeon and I am sure they will try to work with you. Oftentimes they desire that you cover the costs of the operating room and anesthesia. However, policies do differ