Is It Possible That With Age, My Nose Is Growing Larger?

I'm a 24 year old female-- healthy and normal. But, I have been worried of late that my nose has gotten larger in the past few years. I was wondering if this is possible, or an issue of self image? Thank you.

Nasal changes with the aging process

+2

Your nose does not grow once you become an adult. However, other factors can make the tip fall or appear longer such as the thickness of the nasal skin or the strength of your underlying cartilages. It has also been seen that constant nose rubbing from allergies might contribute to this weakness as well. Acne outbreaks can also thicken the skin and weight down the nose. A crooked nose can also make the cartilages more lax and alter the shape some with time. That being said in general the nose does not change much until you get to be a lot older.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Noses can change with age.

+1

Typically noses stop growing in length by age 20, however there are many other ways a nose can change. The nasal skin can thicken and make your nose appear larger or the skin can thin making it look smaller. Many people notice that the tip of their nose droops with age.

Laurie Casas, MD

Nasal Growth with Age

+1

The nose does not grow with age, but the nose will appear longer with time because of gravity  which affects our entire body as we do age. Although we do start to age immediately after puberty, this has nothing to do with your observations. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to discuss your nose.

Changes in the nose with age

+1

The structures of the nose and the skin of the nose lose strength and the nose stretches out and sags downward.  This causes people to say that the nose "grows" with age. Nasal skin tends to lose its elasticity and thickness with the intrinsic (genetic) changes of aging and the extrinsic (smoking, sun damage, stress, etc) changes of aging that the rest of your skin undergoes.  The ligaments of the nose that hold the cartilage structure of the nose also lose their strength and the cartilage and bone lose structure.  The aging nose requires special consideration and skill during rhinoplasty, as the delicate structures need special care.

Gregory S. Keller, MD, FACS

Nasal changes with age

+1

Your nose does not grow once you reach full body maturation around 15 to 17 for females and  17 to 20 for males.  The nose may appear longer due to several factors including thickness of the skin, thin or weak nasal cartilage ( the support structures inside the nose), skin laxity as you age, and a decrease in the volume of bone in the maxilla ( the bone under the nose that holds you upper teeth.)

You have not provided a photograph of your nose, but since you are young, 24 years old.  The reason your nose appears long to you is probably because of thin cartilage or thick skin.  If you have been in an accident and fractured your nose this may also contribute to the appearance of a larger nose.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Rondi Walker

Plastic Surgeon, Washington, DC

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose growth

+1

It is unlikely that your nose is growing.  You may develop drooping of the nose as you age, may give the appearance that the nose has grown.  This can be corrected with rhinoplasty.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Nose gettin larger

+1

Your n ose doean't grow once you have reached full body size. However, like many other body parts tissue strength weakens and thing go south. That is why good tip support is necessary in most rhinoplasty procedures

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

+1

No, this is an urban myth.  The nose stops growing after puberty however, the nsasl tip can rotate downward giving the illusion that the nose is growing and elongating.  If this is the only thing you want corrected, in your nose, a 15 minute procedure where the anterior septal angle is trimmed and the tip suspended with a permanent suture has proven quick and highly effective IMO and does not require a Rhinoplasty.