Post Rhinoplasty: Why Does my Nose Look Bigger Than Before Surgery?

i had an open rhinoplasty 1 month ago and im so worried and upset about the results the tip looks really big and my profile looks really long! longer than it was before surgery is this normal?? can someone please give me some advice???

Post Rhinoplasty recommendation

+2

One month is only the beginning of the healing process. There can be excessive swelling for months and you have to have patients and give your nose time to heal. The healing process will take one year to reach the final results. You need to continue to have checkups with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and the present instructions from your doctor. I believe that it is essential to discuss your concern with your doctor because he is the one that performed the surgery and has the understanding of what was done. Seeking a second opinion is fine but make sure you have your surgery records with you so the attending doctor is familiar with your case.

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Your nasal proportion has changed.

+2

Noses look good because they have shape (created by the underlying cartilage and bone, not the skin), and because they are well--balanced--proportionate. Your surgeon has reduced your bridge and tip so that your soft tissues now have less support and less shape.  That is why reduced noses can look larger than they did before surgery, and why augmentation can give noses more shape and reduce apparent nasal size.  It may seem counter-intuitive but the principle always holds.  Reduction does not solve all nasal problems. Once things have healed, you may benefit from a secondary correction.

Your bridge line now begins lower than it did before surgery.   Thus your profile proportion has changed--making your tip (also rounder than before) look larger.  It isn't larger, but the same skin is now distributed and supported differently.  I wish you well.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Nose looks larger 1 month after Open Rhinoplasty

+2

I can tell you that your nose can be quite swollen 1 month after an Open Rhinoplasty, so don't panic quite yet.  I would ask your surgeon, if the bridge was reduced and if the tip was thinned as it's hard for me to know what was done during your Rhinoplasty.

Nose Looks Bigger 1 Month Post Rhinoplasty

+1

The nose may look bigger 1 month after surgery secondary to temporary swelling, especially in a man with thick skin. This should improve dramatically over the next several weeks and then more gradually for 10-12 months.

Nose looks larger after surgery

+1

There can be quite a bit of swelling after surgery, especially if you have thicker skin, that can make your nose look even larger than it was before surgery. It will take time for your final result to take shape (at least a year). Give it time.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

How long rhinoplasty swelling would last?

+1

What you are experiencing is normal post rhinoplasty anxiety. Swelling after a rhinoplasty can last for up to a year.  One month after rhinoplasty, you should see clear improvements.  Long-term results can take a year or more to appreciate due to swelling.  This is the hardest part for the patient, because it takes patience.  Give it time and follow up closely with your surgeon.  Good luck and good healing. Dr. Kevin Sadati

Kevin Sadati, DO

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

It is still pretty early for you to be overly concerned about the swelling.  It generally takes some time before you can really appreciate the final shape.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

+1

Swelling from rhinoplasty will take 9-12 months and in patient with thick and sebaceous nasal skin up to 2 years. However, by 6-9 months, you will have a better idea of the ultimate outcome. The nose will become more refined as swelling goes down. So, be patient and follow up with your surgeon as schedulled.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon