My Nose Still Looks Big 9 Months After Rhinoplasty

I had an open rhinoplasty 9 months again, I had the hump recovered, alar reduction, nostrils made smaller, tip made smaller and my nose was broken to make it thin. But after 9 month my nose still looks big, I can see a small hump on the bridge to, and when I touch the bridge of my nose I can feel where the sides of my nose was brought together if that makes sense. Also when I smile my nose looks bent. Is my nose still swollen or is this my new nose?

Considering a Second Nose Job

+1
In your case, it seems as though the majority of the swelling has subsided. As a general rule of thumb, I advise my patients to wait at least a year to see if swelling does in fact continue to decrease and if the new nose looks more closely aligned with the patient’s ideal. If you are still unsatisfied with the look of your nose even after a nose job, you should consider the option of undergoing a second rhinoplasty procedure, or revision rhinoplasty. Oftentimes, patients re-visit the surgeon who performed the original rhinoplasty and work together to correct the situation. If you are uncomfortable with the idea of going back to the same surgeon for any reason, I would suggest scheduling a few consultation appointments with other prominent surgeons in your area. 

"Big" Nose 9 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

The majority of your swelling has resolved 9 months after surgery.  Discuss the possibility of a revision with your surgeon and get a second opinion if necessary.

Revision Rhinoplasty Time

+1

Hi Jink,

Sorry to say that the majority of your swelling is gone, and the defects that you describe are not the kind that improve over time.  If the appearance of your nose bothers you, it is time to consider revision rhinoplasty.  The edges that you are feeling on the sides of your nose is where the boney cuts were made in the nasal bones (osteotomies).  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD