What is Included in the Preop Workup That Needs to Be Done by the Primary Care Physician?

I am 32 years old, in great health (as far as I know haha) and was just curious what is checked and tested when you go in for your pre operation check up. I will be having my mommy makeover on October 7th and have started to get a little paranoid. I have no reason to believe anything negative will show up, but I am wondering if they check your heart or if that is something that you have to request? Thanks!

Healthy 32 year old - What labs to check?

+2

Dear Kuted,

Assuming you are healthy, have a reasonable cardio exercise regime, do not have any known medical problems, and have no bleeding/bruising history in the past - I would only check a CBC and MMG before surgery.  If your history deviates from the scenario I described, other labs may be indicated, but those are dictated by your past history. 

Dr.B

+2

Prior to undergoing your surgery you will need surgical clearance to ensure that you are healthy enough to undergo surgery. This may include lab testing, adjustment of any medications that you are currently taking, and a general medical examination.

Wesley T. Myers, MD
Conroe Plastic Surgeon

Preop lab testing for mommy makeover

+1

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  For elective surgery for healthy, young patients, we normally get CBC (blood count) and urine analysis and pregnancy test.  Some may even argue that a young, healthy patient does not need any lab except pregnancy test.  Check for heart condition (EKG) is not routinely done.  It is best to follow your plastic surgeon's prep testing requirement.  Best wishes.

Sugene Kim, MD

Preop Workup That Needs to Be Done by the Primary Care Physician?

+1

Requirements may vary from surgeon to surgeon.  I have my patients complete a general medical history pre-op by their family doctor as well as standard blood work to ensure they are healthy to proceed with surgery.  Should you have any medical conditions, further testing may be required.  

Frank Lista, MD

Preoperative Workup for Mommy Makeover

+1

You are young and healthy.  Therefore, your workup should involve simple lab work to ensure you are not anemic etc.   Your PCP will review your recent history and perform a physical exam to ensure all is well from both an surgery and anesthesia point.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery!!

Paul S. Gill, MD

Mommy Makeover and the Preop Workup

+1

Each surgeon has their own requirements. For my patients,I do a history and physical. A complete blood count (CBC)  test is ordered to be sure that you are in good health. Usually it is not necessary to see your primary care physician unless you have a medical condition that would require clearance. You are also evaluated by our Board Certified Anesthesiologist. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

+1

There is no uniform standard here with regard to labs, etc.  A complete history and physical needs to be performed, but lab work and other workup will be based upon risk factors and surgeon or anesthesiologist judgment.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of mommy makeover procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA