Allergy Medication During and Following a Mommy Makeover Safe?

What are the safest OTC allergy meds to take after surgery? I tend to sneeze a lot and with the long list of what NOT to take, I want to make sure I'm taking something safe that will not interfere with all the other meds I will be taking or the anesthesia. I am not currently on anything, but pretty sure I'm not going to want to be sneezing after a complete mommy makeover! :)

Medications

+2

I am impressed that you are involved with your preoperative care.  Of course, please speak with your own doctor's office for advice.  They may have special instructions.  In general, Loratadine (Claritin) is effective, safe and inexpensive.  I also like that it is a once a day dose.  Antihistamines will not interfere with your surgery anesthesia in most cases.  To be safe, just ask your doctor. 

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Allergy medications okay after mommy makeover surgery.

+1

I would permit my patients to use over-the-counter allergy medications after a mommy makeover. Nevertheless follow the advice of your own surgeon.

Allergy Medication During and Following a Mommy Makeover Safe

+1

Not knowing the medicines your surgeon will prescribe nor the agents your anesthetist will use, I would recommend passing the question to your surgeon. Once you have your preop prescriptions, your pharmacist may be the most knowledgeable and has the best resources to check.

Most allergy meds, so long as they contain neither aspirin nor ibuprofen or other related meds should not be an issue.

All the best. 

Any allergy medicine should be fine!

+1

There are no allergy medicines that I am aware of that would cause any trouble prior to or after your surgery.  If you feel as though you need to be extra cautious, call your plastic surgeon's office to confirm.  Avoid anything that may thin your blood, aspirin, NSAIDS, etc....

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

OTC medications after surgery

+1

I would not think that you would have any problem with OTC allergy medication after surgery.  To be on the safe side review you at home medications with your plastic surgeon.  

+1

You want to avoid any medications that thin your blood (aspirin/advil/others) before and after the surgery. Most PS have a long list of medications not to take around the time of surgery.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Allergy Meds Prior to Mommy Makeover

+1

You should discuss this with your surgeon, and pre op nurse at your hospital / outpatient center.This is also an anesthesia question.  To answer this question, your medical history should be reviewed, as well as the details of your up-coming surgery.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD