Can a Revision Rhinoplasty, Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck Be Done at the Same Time? How Common or Dangerous is It?

Stats= 35 years old, 100 lbs, no high blood pressure issue.

Combination of operations is safe in properly selected patients.

+1

The three operations you are proposing should not create unusual risks provided you are in good health. This is something that will be determined by your surgeon and the anesthesiologist.

May be too much....

+1

There is no clear answer and it depends or your surgeons speed.  I frequently perform a combination of breast augmentation and tummy tuck.  This take about 3 hours for both.  A revision rhinoplasty may be a short operation, but may take considerable time. If your surgeon thinks he can do it all under 5 hours, you should be ok, but if he predicts longer, I may consider putting off the nose until another time. 

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Procedures at the Same Time?

+1

Combination procedures including a revision rhinoplasty, breast augmentation, and tummy tuck are may be performed together. Whether you are a reasonable candidate, however, for those combined procedures depends on your anatomy, the extent of the abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), the complexity of the nasal revision, your medical history, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. For a combination of these procedures, I would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective, but many surgeons would prefer performing these procedures in 2 separate operations to diminish the potential for complications.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with the plastic surgeon and have a consultation to see what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

How many procedures can be done a the same time?

+1

the answer to this question is that it depends on the complexity of the revision rhinoplasty.  that procedure is the one that could take only one hour or multiples of that.  some revisions rhinoplasties require significant time for dissecting out scar tissue, identifying damaged tissues, harvesting ear and/or rib grafting, and placing grafts precisely.  to right this off as an  hour to two hour procedure does not pay proper respect to the complex nature of some revisions.  interact with anyone who does a lot of revision and that will become evident.

a breast aug can take 1 hour or less and a tt can take 1.5-3 hrs depending on a number of factors.

so again the answer depends on what the nose needs.

when it 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Multiple Procedures

+1

Multiple Procedures are routinely performed in a single setting.  However the one thing that concerns me is the revision rhinoplasty.  Unlike other parts of the body revision rhinoplasty can be a very complex undertaking, even in the most experienced hands.  I trained with a surgeon that focused on revision rhinoplasty for the better part of 30 years and still the cases could vary widely from 1 hour to 5 hours, depending on the scarring encountered, the need for cartilage harvest, the number of previous surgeries, and the overall complexity of the revision.  In my own practice I have a healthy respect for revision rhinoplasty.  In my hands this surgery is usually 2 -4 hours, again depending on the complexity. The goal of any revision is to make sure that there will not be further revisions.  Breast augmentation is usually less than an hour, and tummy tuck about 2 hours.  I try to keep my surgeries under 5 hours total.  If your nose requires a complex revision, I would recommend performing rhinoplasty in a separate setting.

Christopher Khorsandi, MD

+1

I perform these operations together frequently.   A breast augmentation and tummy tuck will take 2 hrs or less, and even the most challenging revision rhinoplasty will take less than 2 hrs.  You should make sure that the surgeon produces excellent results in all three and can get your surgery performed in 4 hrs or less. 

Can a Revision Rhinoplasty, Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck Be Done at the Same Time?

+1

We do combined breast and abdominal cosmetic procedures frequently, also combine nose and breast. They are safe in healthy patients. However I would personally not want to do all three at the same time.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Combo procedures in mommy makeovers

+1

Mommy makeover is safe as long as it is done for healthy patients.  Mommy makeover is a combination surgery of abdomen and breasts; it is usually done at the same time.  Depending on complexity of surgery, it may take 4-6 hours.  You want to be optimized medically and at a stable weight prior to your surgery.  You should follow your plastic surgeon's postoperative instruction to minimize peri-operative risks and complication.  I do not think you need to break your procedures into two.  Good luck with surgery and recovery.

Sugene Kim, MD

Combined procedures

+1

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done.  An overnight stay may be recommended.  Please talk to your plastic surgeon to get their thoughts on the matter as they are most familiar with your medical history and overall health status.

Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Multiple Procedures at the Same Time

+1

Generally speaking, multiple surgeries can be performed at the same time if the operating surgeon feels that it is safe after reviewing medical risks and benefits. Statistically we know that there are more complications when surgeries are long or we do multiple surgeries at once. It is up to the operating surgeon to manage these risks on an individual basis with each patient.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon