Is It Normal That Pimples Break when I Wash my Face?

It's just something that no one talks about or seems to report but that happens to me almost everytime I wash my face, even though I don't wash particularly strongly. The top part of the pimple pulls off from rubbing when I wash my face. It doesn't happen with all of the pimples but with the majority. The pimple breaks letting out pus and becoming a red mark overtime. So I'm not sure if this is the way accutane works with pimples. Is it better not to break them?

Accutane treatment makes pimples more fragile

+3

It's no suprise that your pimples are coming to a head and rupturing with gentle cleansing while you are on Isoretinoin (Accutane). Accutane loosens the bonds between skin cells which is one of the ways that it improves acne--this loosening unplugs the hair follicle resulting in faster resolution and prevention of lesions. Contnue to cleanse gently and apply a high quality moisturizer afterwards. As the Accutane kicks in fewer lesions will form and therefore there should be fewer lesions draining when you wash you face. Good luck!

Use good soap and your hands only

+2

No, this isn't how Accutane works with pimples. Something else is clearly going on. Popping pimples isn't good because it often leads to what you're describing - post inflammatory hyperpigmentation - and sometimes even scarring. You shouldn't be "rubbing" your face. You should be lightly washing it with a good, mild soap, like Dove or Cetaphil, or Aquanil. And using your hands - not a loofah, washcloth, scrubber, or sponge of any kind. Be very gentle to your skin. If you have questions, go over your routine with your prescribing Accutane physician; something isn't right and I don't want you to damage your skin.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD