Is it normal for my pubic area below my scar to stick out more then my belly?

I had a mommy makeoverthe end of January I asked my doctor of it was normal for my pubic are to look like that. He said yes because i didn't ask for lipo there and to fix it i would need to have lipo done and another tummy tuck. I thought that was part the procedure i also still have lose skin in that area but above my scar it this ok

Mons liposuction

+1
Thank you for your mommy make-over question. This is distressing of course. Here's some information -

• Your mons pubis has excess fat that was not removed at surgery,
  • This might have involved an additional fee then, and will involve one now,
  • But it definitely is not another tummy tuck -
  • There is a little loose skin above the scar, this can be tightened with a scar revision, 
  • I would wait for a year after surgery though - the swelling in the mons pubis may go down a lot, making it possible to judge what needs to be done.
  • Check to be sure if you understood your surgeon correctly about needing a second tummy tuck -
  • If that is correct, and he wants to charge you a full tummy tuck fee....I would find a different surgeon. Best wishes.

Pubic liposuction may or may not be a part of a tummy tuck

+1
I think a little liposuction of the pubic area will help you.  This will not mean a tummy tuck but rather just a little liposuction.  This should be a fairly simple endeavor. I would wait until you are one year from surgery for any additional procedure.   The pubic area often swells and stays swollen a long time after a tummy tuck. When sweling gos you may be okay with no additional surgery. My best ,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Bulge Below

+1
Thank you for your pictures. This is not normal in my practice. Patients come to me for improvement of their abdomen and I give them improvement of the abdomen and mons pubis if needed. No patient wants a nice abdomen and a full mons after this procedure.  Liposuction can improve this area.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS,FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Mons pubis protruding after tummy tuck

+1
There can be some initial swelling in the area of the mons pubis area after a tummy tuck . If the appearance of the mons pubis doesn't improve liposuction or sometimes a mom pubis lift may be néeded . An evaluation by a plastic surgeon is needed . Although liposuction can and is performed at the time of a tummy tuck by many plastic surgeons this is ultimately determined by the individual plastic surgeons practice.

Joanne Lopes, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Usually lipo done at same time

+1
Not sure why it was not done at the time of the tummy tuck but lipo should take care of it, not sure why another tummy tuck would be required.

Munish K. Batra, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Prominent pubis after tummy tuck

+1
Looking at your picture it does appear that your pubis is sticking out slightly form your abdomen. Your surgery was relatively recent and indeed you may still have some residual swelling. I would wait 3-4 more months, but in the interim you should have an open discussion with your plastic surgeon. In my opinion if after the swelling is gone and your pubis still protrudes liposuction as well as a small pubic lift will take care of the problem.

I hope this helps

Good Luck
Ritu Chopra MD

Ritu Chopra, MD

The pubic area may be more prominent than the abdomen after in abdominoplasty.

+1
The fatty tissue over the pubic bone may protrude more than the abdomen after in abdominoplasty. In the short-term this is due to swelling. If it persists the area can be liposuction with local anesthesia.

Pubic swelling/fullness

+1
Thanks for your question and pictures.  It does appear that your pubic area is more prominent than your lower abdomen.  Sometimes this can be due to swelling after surgery.  Swelling in the pubic area can last for several months, sometimes as long as or even more than 6-12 months.  If this area was full to start out with, liposuction of the area can be done or direct excision of the deeper fat can be done.  This is often done at the time of the tummy tuck. 

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS