Is It Normal to Feel Great 18 Days Post Op from a Full TT and Lipo of the Flanks?

I had a full TT 18 days ago with lipo of the flanks. Right after surgery I remember feeling very tight in the abdomen and extremely bruised and sore on my flanks. I took pain pills for 2 days and after that I didn't need them. I could stand up straight after 7 days with no problems. Now I pretty much feel like I did before I went into surgery. I clean, play w/kids, treadmill, sleep on stomach...and so much more. I am not complaining but is this normal?

Normal to Feel Great 18 days after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your successful surgery!

Each patient is different and yes, I have had patients who "feel great" 2 weeks after surgery.  Remember that you need to take it easy and listen to your body (and your surgeon) to have the best results.  If you start doing too much, too soon, you may end up with complications.

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+1

Though difficult to accurately predict any one person's recovery timeline, in my experience most patients do feel "great" during the 2-3week window after. It is important not to overdo activities during this time to avoid worsening swelling or creating any "problem". 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Feeling great after tummy tuck

+1

Congratulations on your surgery! It's great that you feel so good after your surgery, but remember that your body is still recovering.  You may want to start to gradually increase your activity, but remember to listen to your body and not do too much too fast. 

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Feeling Normal after Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

It is definitely possible to feel great 2 1/2 weeks after your tummy tuck and liposuction. Often times when liposuction is combined with the tummy tuck, the surgeon does not have to elevate the abdominal skin as aggressively compared to performing an tummy tuck alone. This can contribute to a quick recovery after surgery. But most importantly, the rate of healing and pain tolerances can vary significantly from one patient to another. Regardless of how you feel, you are still healing. So, follow the advice of your plastic surgeon with regard to activities.

Thanks for your question! Glad you're doing well!!

Gregory Park, MD

Recovery after a Tummy Tuck

+1

Every patient heals at a different rate, and every surgeon uses slightly different techniques, so recovery time is variable. In general, I find that my patients feel terrible for about 5-7 days after a tummy tuck, and then begin to feel better each day. Most of my patients can go back to work (assuming no heavy lifting) in about 14 days, so feeling "great" 18 days later is fairly common with my patients. Good luck for your remaining recovery and try not to overdo it and do too much!

Matthew Schulman, MD

Feeling great after a TT and Lipo!

+1

Good for you.  Not everybody feels the way that you do after such extensive surgery.  My only advice is to not overdo it.  The motions that you want to avoid after any abdominal wall procedure is any quick jerking motion where you really tighten your rectus muscles( ie. picking up a heavy weight, jerking open a heavy door, etc.)  Please enjoy your new shape and hopefully your swelling follows a similarly quick course.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Is It Normal to Feel Great 18 Days Post Op

+1

Not everyone has such an easy post op course, but there is nothing abnormal about its. I hope you will have a continued uneventful course, and a nice result!  Best wishes.