Can I Take Align (Probiotic) and Vit-c Tablets Before Tt Surgery?

Pills

+2

Neither of these pills/medications are required or necessary. I would avoid all of these supplements since they may do more harm than good

These should be no problem, but check with your surgeon!

+1

Neither is necessary (above and beyond what you have in your system now) for proper healing, and a regular multivitamin is actually more complete. Probiotics might be helpful in restoring normal colon balance and function after anesthesia and antibiotics, but I would suggest a Fleets enema the night before surgery and again the morning of surgery to help avoid common constipation after anesthesia and narcotic pain medications!

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that you probably have in normal concentrations in your body from usual dietary intake. A little more in the form of the multivitamin mentioned above won't hurt, and will ensure you have the proper building blocks for healing. But lots extra just strains your kidneys and won't make you heal any better/faster/with less risk!

Check with your surgeon, however, as it is s/he you will call if you have bowel/constipation issues after surgery! Good luck with your surgery and best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon