Is This Normal, Eczema or Something Else? (photo)

Hello, my name is Natasha, for years i've had this problem around my fingertips and heels (One time it had spread to my earlobes and neck but those went away) No matter how much I moisturize, wash my hands, leave them alone- they always peeled like this constantly! It's a miracle when it goes away for a few days, maybe even a week, but then it comes right back! It's very uncomfortable and embarrassing, I can't go to a real dermatologist so I need someone to diagnose this! What is this?

Eczema

+1

It is likely you are suffering from eczema.  Eczema is chronic sensitive skin, that can result in peeling, itching, and scaly patches.  However, it is important to be evaluated by a dermatologist who can provide an effective  treatment regimen.  Patients with eczema often require topical steroids and medications to repair the skin.  In the meantime, make sure you are washing with a gentle wash and moisturizing.  Unfortunately, eczema is a chronic condition so it is important to seek treatment in order to control your symptoms and prevent flares.   

Fort Myers Dermatologist

Eczema on fingers

+1

Your photos show dry skin on your finger tips. This could be simple dry skin (xerosis) or even a form of eczema (dry skin that can get inflammed). It's also possible that there are things you touch that are causing your skin to peel (irritant or even allergic dermatitis). Ideally, a visit to your local dermatologist could sort this out and give you treatment options. The important concept to understand is that you might always have a tendency for this to recur. Therefore, prevention, by moisturizing daily with a thick cream or ointment (not a runny lotion), will often be the best strategy to prevent flare ups. Cortisone creams, either over-the-counter or by prescription, can help treat individual flare ups, but should not be used frequently. Hope that helps.

David W. Bray, MD
Alexandria Dermatologist