Is There a Nonsurgical Way to Remove Bags from Under my Eyes?

I am 52 years old and I have bags under my eyes. One is worse than the other and I would like to know a nonsurgical way to get them to go away. I don't have any winkles and this is the only thing that gives my age away. Also being on a fixed income I would like to know how I can get rid of them the most cheapest way possiable. Can anyone advise of a nonsurgical solution?

Possibly, Restylane can help

+3

If you have deep grooves below the bags, you have what are called "tear troughs." Without surgery, these can be injected with Restylane to fill in the depth of the troughs and disguise the apprerance of the bags. This treatment lastd about one year. Your best advice would be to see a plastic surgeon and ask what your options are.

Nonsurgical Correction of "Some" Lower Eyelid "Bags"

+2
If you have a groove in the lower inner corner of your eyelid that makes you appear fatigued it may be due to a loss of soft tissue volume in your face. Sometimes the fat pad above this “tear trough” appears to be bulging but in fact it is actually a “pseudo- bag”. If Restylane, Belotero, Sculptra or autogenous fat is injected beneath the groove to elevate the “tear trough” the bulging fat pad will no longer appear like a “bag”. Juvederm should not be employed as a soft tissue filler in this area because it produces too much swelling. However, if you have a large bulge of fat then a modest reduction of that fat can be performed surgically through an incision in the lower fornix of your eyelid.

Joel E. Kopelman, MD, FACS
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Volume Lift can help in a less invasive way

+2

The Volume Lift can be something that can help in a less invasive way.  This technique entails volumizing the face with no incisions and is done through small puncture holes that heal essentially imperceptibly.  Volumizing is the best way to hide eye bags without the hollow surgical look.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical treatment for lower eye bags

+1
I am not aware of any way to actually remove the fat from the eyelid without surgery.  However, the eyelid bag can be camouflaged by using a filler and filling the area around the bag to lessen the shadow which makes it so apparent.  Sometimes, resurfacing the skin, which allows the skin to tighten, can help lessen the eyelid but this does have some downtime.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical treatment to remove under eye bags

+1
 The lower lids have 3 small fatty deposits located underneath the lower lid skin and muscle. It is important to make sure all allergies are under control, there's no thyroid issues present, and you have tried a low-salt diet. We do not recommend fillers placed around the fatty deposits, but surgical removal once the above medical reasons have been ruled out.  Lower eyelid bag removal it is really a surgical  procedure. To remove the bags, a trans-conjunctival approach with the incision placed on the inside of the lower lids is performed. If any excess skin is present , then an external incision at the lash line is used to perform a pinch technique and that incision was closed with tissue glue. For many examples, please see the link below to our eyelid photo  gallery

Non-surgical vs. Surgical Treatment of Eyelid Bags

+1

Thank you for the great question. As others have said, there are numerous reasons why the lower eyelid area can make you look tired. Among the most common, however, is shadow and effect caused by an indentation between the lower eyelid and cheek.  This is caused by descent of the cheek fat pad as we age, and also by subtle protrusion of the fat bags under the eye. In terms of non-surgical options, fillers (e.g., Restylane) can be a great way to temporarily camouflage the area.  For appropriate surgical candidates, I recommend an extended lower eyelid lift with fat transposition -- using your own eyelid fat bags to fill in the hollow area and then removing extra crepey skin. Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical blepharoplasty

+1

It is difficult to tell what you would be a candidate for without examining you or at least looking at some photos. Many patients are scared of surgery and are looking for non-surgical treatments. Restylane injections can help camoflage puffiness and reduce hollowing along the tear trough, which can sometimes dramatically improve the appearance of the under eye area. For the right person this is a great treatment, but it is definitely not for everyone. It works best for patients with relatively mild amounts of excess fat and good skin texture and thickness. The main downside is bruising. Make sure you find someone who is experienced with under eye injections.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical eyelid bag removal

+1

In my opinion, the best way to address lower eyelid bags is with surgery.  Injections for the lower eyelid are not optimal as the skin is very thin and the slightest irregularity from filler injections will be seen through the thin skin.  Filler injections can also cause prolonged swelling in the area.  Lower eyelid surgery has a very quick recovery and can be done in my office under local anesthesia with consistently excellent results.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgery is likely to be the best and least expensive long term

+1

While injections to obscure the transition from the bag to the cheek may be effective, it is only short term. It is also more difficult to adjust injections for uneven bags, althought it can be done. The injection routine also gives you the up and down correction because initially it may be great, but you need the result to decrease before you can have the next maintenance.

A lower lid transconjunctival blepharoplasty can be done under just local anesthesia and oral sedation and provides an operation that lasts years.  It is a one time expense with a very high satisfaction rate.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical Blepharoplasty (eyelid)

+1

Non-surgical treatment of lower eyelids consists of primarily using fillers in the depression immediately below the eyelid bags. Different physicians recommend different fillers such as juvederm, restylane, and radiesse. These can be performed in the office with generally no downtime. Bruising is a possibility. It is better to under rather than overcorrect.

Autologous fat can be used but is highly technique dependent and does involve minor surgery.