How Can I Fix One Drooping Eye?

My eyes weren't always uneven. I did something stupid 6 yrs ago and wore one contact on my right eye for a couple of months. My left eyelid drooped, and my left eye looked smaller than my right eye. Is there anything I can do to make my eyes even again? Brow lift? Laser blepharoplasty?

Droop Eyelid Following Contact Lens Use

Your problem is probably related to a mechanical dysfunction of the eyelid. Perhaps the eyelid muscle has become weaker and needs to be tightened or lifted. This can only be determined by consultation with an eyelid specialist. If this turns out to be the cause of the "drooping" then there are a couple of surgical techniques that may be used to elevated the eyelid. Both procedures usually take under 1/2 hour to perform with minimal bruising and downtime. 

I hope you find this helpful.

This is a complicated question to answer without...

This is a complicated question to answer without examining you, as the options for correction of this problem include blepharoplasty, browlift, or even a ptosis procedure (a procedure for a droopy lid). The best advice I can give you is to seek out a plastic surgeon in your area that is familiar and comfortable with eyelid surgery so that he or she can give you the best options for correction, as the eyelids are best corrected at the first procedure. Second opinions are also a good idea in situations such as these-- remember it's your eyes we're talking about, so find the surgeon you're the most comfortable with.

Dr. S

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Fixing one droopy eye

If your eyelid margin (where the lashes are) is lower on one side, that's called ptosis (p is silent) and can be due to a variety of factors. A thorough eye exam will reveal the cause and the extent of the droopy lid and as long as the muscle that raises the lid is strong, the lid can be re-positioned surgically in an outpatient procedure called ptosis repair. This is best done by an oculoplastic surgeon who has specialized training in surgery of the eyelids. 

Michael Loeffler, MD
Pompano Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy eyelid

A droopy eyelid can be caused by various things.

1. Nerve: nerve damage can cause a droopy eyelid

2. contacts: contact lens wearers can weaken the muscles that lift their eyelids and cause them to droopy

3. Age: Sometimes the muscle that lifts the eyelid can become weak over time

4. Mechanical: If there is a stye or bump on the eyelid from a growth that can weigh down the eyelid and make it droopy

5. Medication: Various medicines but most commonly botox if injected near the eyelid can cause it to become droopy. This wears away with time

6. Allergic reaction: In patients who have eye allergies or even contact lens related allergies, an eyelid can be droopy

The best bet is to see an ophthalmic or oculoplastic plastic surgeon to get this sorted out.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unfortunately, there is no way to answer this without...

Unfortunately, there is no way to answer this without examining you. "Droopy" means different things to different people so without knowing what the problem is, there can't be a way to present you with appropriate options. To some people, droopy means extra skin that can be improved by a blepharoplasty. To others, droopy means that the eyelid isn't as open as the other which is a condition called ptosis. This requires a separate type of surgery. Please seek consultation with some excellent plastic surgeons in your area to find out what can be done for you.

Unilateral eyelid droop

Unilateral eyelid droop should be evaluated to evaluate the cause.  It is most commonly caused by weakness of the muscle that elevates the eyelid, but it can also be secondary to other causes (the globe sinking in, neurologic disorders, tumors, etc).  See a facial specialist who can give you a detailed examination and determine the best solution based on your specific problem.  All the best!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyes Uneven after Contact use? #Ptosis

Let me ask, was this a hard/gas permeable lens?  if so, these can be associated with causing a weakness in the natural muscles that hold the upper eyelid upwards (i.e. the levator muscle).  There is no substitute for a full evaluation by a oculoplastic trained board certified plastic surgeon.  The surgery to correct this condition (known as ptosis is very precise) and should be performed by an experienced surgeron.  In your case, photos would be helpful to determine the cause of the droopiness.  Best of luck!  Dr. Pacella

Droopy eye

It is difficult advise without a photo.  If the problem is due to excess skin a blepharoplasty may be warranted.  If it is due to dysfunction of the lifting  mechanism of the upper eye lid other procedures for ptosis repair are needed.  Sometimes a combination of both are done at the same time.  See a surgeon well versed in eyelid surgery for a consultation to determine what is best in your case.  Best wishes.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

One Drooping Eye

If you think that your vision or the movement of your eyes has changed then you should definitely see an ophthalmologist. For the eyelid drooping an occuloplastic surgeon or Board-certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in eyelid reconstruction is your best bet. If does not sound that the other options you bring up are right. Make sure that you seek the right help in trying to "even out" you eyes, because, as the pun is intended to convey, with this particular problem, there might be more than meets the eye. Good luck and fare well.

Eyelid, asymetry, treatement

we all have asymmetry in all aspect of our body including the face.

the asymmetry sometimes get exaggerated with time for no reason.

asymmetry can be diminished and to a lesser degree, corrected completely.

the asymmetry in the eyelids can be secondary to the forehead or the eyelids itself.

we can treat the cause without guarantying perfect symmetry.

Jacques Haddad, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon