How Can I Fix One Drooping Eye?

My eyes weren't always uneven. I did something stupid 6 yrs ago and wore one contact on my right eye for a couple of months. My left eyelid drooped, and my left eye looked smaller than my right eye. Is there anything I can do to make my eyes even again? Brow lift? Laser blepharoplasty?

This is a complicated question to answer without...

+4

This is a complicated question to answer without examining you, as the options for correction of this problem include blepharoplasty, browlift, or even a ptosis procedure (a procedure for a droopy lid). The best advice I can give you is to seek out a plastic surgeon in your area that is familiar and comfortable with eyelid surgery so that he or she can give you the best options for correction, as the eyelids are best corrected at the first procedure. Second opinions are also a good idea in situations such as these-- remember it's your eyes we're talking about, so find the surgeon you're the most comfortable with.

Dr. S

Droopy eyelid

+3

A droopy eyelid can be caused by various things.

1. Nerve: nerve damage can cause a droopy eyelid

2. contacts: contact lens wearers can weaken the muscles that lift their eyelids and cause them to droopy

3. Age: Sometimes the muscle that lifts the eyelid can become weak over time

4. Mechanical: If there is a stye or bump on the eyelid from a growth that can weigh down the eyelid and make it droopy

5. Medication: Various medicines but most commonly botox if injected near the eyelid can cause it to become droopy. This wears away with time

6. Allergic reaction: In patients who have eye allergies or even contact lens related allergies, an eyelid can be droopy

The best bet is to see an ophthalmic or oculoplastic plastic surgeon to get this sorted out.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unfortunately, there is no way to answer this without...

+2

Unfortunately, there is no way to answer this without examining you. "Droopy" means different things to different people so without knowing what the problem is, there can't be a way to present you with appropriate options. To some people, droopy means extra skin that can be improved by a blepharoplasty. To others, droopy means that the eyelid isn't as open as the other which is a condition called ptosis. This requires a separate type of surgery. Please seek consultation with some excellent plastic surgeons in your area to find out what can be done for you.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

How Can I Fix One Drooping Eye?

+1
Thank you for the question.  Unilateral ptosis or eyelid drooping is a complicated question.  It is unlikely this is related to a contact work 6 years ago.  This could be nerve or muscle problem or could be a normal asymmetry of the face.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for proper evaluation and treatment.

Dr. Mussman

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Droop Eyelid Following Contact Lens Use

+1
Your problem is probably related to a mechanical dysfunction of the eyelid. Perhaps the eyelid muscle has become weaker and needs to be tightened or lifted. This can only be determined by consultation with an eyelid specialist. If this turns out to be the cause of the "drooping" then there are a couple of surgical techniques that may be used to elevated the eyelid. Both procedures usually take under 1/2 hour to perform with minimal bruising and downtime. 

I hope you find this helpful.

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Some asymmetry is normal, but surgery can help.

+1
Everyone has some degree of asymmetry between the left and right side of the face and body. Although it's doubtful that wearing a contact lens for that long caused problems in the opposite eye, it is likely that a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon who specializes in eyelid surgery can help restore a more symmetrical look. It is actually not that uncommon for eyelid surgery to be performed only on one side, especially since the aging process can affect both sides of the face at slightly different rates. Schedule a consultation and see what your surgeon advises after examining you in person.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Question Difficult to Answer Without Performing a Physical Examination - Seek Out a Board-Certified Surgeon

+1

This question is impossible to answer without performing a physical examination. Eyelid asymmetry can be caused by a variety of conditions and each one has a very specific treatment. Therefore, it’s important to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon with experience performing eyelid surgery. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Surgery for drooping eye

+1
 Without any photographs it's impossible to determine what the cause of the droopy eye is.   It's very common to have a ptosis of one eyelid causing the eyelid droop and the appearance of one eye smaller than the other. The aging process and hooding of the  upper eyelids asymmetrically  can also lead to the same result of one droopy eye. A browlift is only performed on patients who have low set eyebrows in relation to the eyelids. For many examples of eyelid surgery, please see the link below

How Can I Fix One Drooping Eye?

+1

Unilateral eye lift is certainly something that can be performed in order to get more symmetry. From there I would take significant effort to show you photographically how your face or almost anyone’s face would look with perfect symmetry. The pursuit of improved symmetry is something that is realistic while perfect symmetry is something that is not realistic. Should you just have a unilateral percosis that is something that you could have repaired surgically and I would welcome that opportunity.

Paul Vanek, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Drooping Eyelid

+1

Although I can’t tell you the reason for your drooping eyelid without an examination, I can tell you that having eyelid surgery just on one eye to even both sides out is absolutely possible. It’s also very normal to notice that one side of the face may be aging slightly differently from the other. No one’s face is absolutely symmetrical, and sometimes the differences from one side of the face to the other become more pronounced as we age. A skilled eyelid surgeon will be familiar with making the necessary adjustments to ensure that your final results are as symmetrical as possible, even if the surgery is only conducted on one eyelid.

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon