How Can I Fix One Drooping Eye?

My eyes weren't always uneven. I did something stupid 6 yrs ago and wore one contact on my right eye for a couple of months. My left eyelid drooped, and my left eye looked smaller than my right eye. Is there anything I can do to make my eyes even again? Brow lift? Laser blepharoplasty?

Droop Eyelid Following Contact Lens Use

Your problem is probably related to a mechanical dysfunction of the eyelid. Perhaps the eyelid muscle has become weaker and needs to be tightened or lifted. This can only be determined by consultation with an eyelid specialist. If this turns out to be the cause of the "drooping" then there are a couple of surgical techniques that may be used to elevated the eyelid. Both procedures usually take under 1/2 hour to perform with minimal bruising and downtime. 

I hope you find this helpful.

This is a complicated question to answer without...

This is a complicated question to answer without examining you, as the options for correction of this problem include blepharoplasty, browlift, or even a ptosis procedure (a procedure for a droopy lid). The best advice I can give you is to seek out a plastic surgeon in your area that is familiar and comfortable with eyelid surgery so that he or she can give you the best options for correction, as the eyelids are best corrected at the first procedure. Second opinions are also a good idea in situations such as these-- remember it's your eyes we're talking about, so find the surgeon you're the most comfortable with.

Dr. S

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Fixing one droopy eye

If your eyelid margin (where the lashes are) is lower on one side, that's called ptosis (p is silent) and can be due to a variety of factors. A thorough eye exam will reveal the cause and the extent of the droopy lid and as long as the muscle that raises the lid is strong, the lid can be re-positioned surgically in an outpatient procedure called ptosis repair. This is best done by an oculoplastic surgeon who has specialized training in surgery of the eyelids. 

Michael Loeffler, MD
Pompano Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy eyelid

A droopy eyelid can be caused by various things.

1. Nerve: nerve damage can cause a droopy eyelid

2. contacts: contact lens wearers can weaken the muscles that lift their eyelids and cause them to droopy

3. Age: Sometimes the muscle that lifts the eyelid can become weak over time

4. Mechanical: If there is a stye or bump on the eyelid from a growth that can weigh down the eyelid and make it droopy

5. Medication: Various medicines but most commonly botox if injected near the eyelid can cause it to become droopy. This wears away with time

6. Allergic reaction: In patients who have eye allergies or even contact lens related allergies, an eyelid can be droopy

The best bet is to see an ophthalmic or oculoplastic plastic surgeon to get this sorted out.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unfortunately, there is no way to answer this without...

Unfortunately, there is no way to answer this without examining you. "Droopy" means different things to different people so without knowing what the problem is, there can't be a way to present you with appropriate options. To some people, droopy means extra skin that can be improved by a blepharoplasty. To others, droopy means that the eyelid isn't as open as the other which is a condition called ptosis. This requires a separate type of surgery. Please seek consultation with some excellent plastic surgeons in your area to find out what can be done for you.

Eyelid assymmetry

It is difficult to advise you without photos.  However, we commonly treat eyelid asymmetries with blepharoplasty and a variety of techniques used to raise or lower the crease.  We can also alter fullness of the eyelid by removing or adding fat.

Bottom line, there are endless possibilities for you.  However you need to go to an experienced plastic surgeon who is well versed in treating asymmetries.

Gilbert Lee, MD

Droopy eye

There are different ways to address a droopy lid on one side. As a contact lens wearer, you are at risk for blepharoptosis aka droopy eyelid because you are pulling your eyelid muscle down and up with the constant replacement of the contact lens. If this affects your peripheral vision, insurance may cover surgery to fix this. If there is slight asymmetry, consult an eyelid specialist to address this muscle. There are both skin incision and no-skin techniques to help fix this. Consider an oculoplastics specialist to help you through this!

Drooping Eyelid

Did the drooping eyelid occur on the side of the contact lens wear? Contact lenses, especially hard contact lenses, are a known cause of droopy eyelids. If one eye looks smaller and droopier than the other, you most likely have eyelid ptosis although without a photo I can't say for sure. A brow lift or even a laser blepharoplasty will not correct the uneven eyelids if the underlying cause is ptosis. However, eyelid ptosis repair surgery can improve this and make the eyes look even again.

Silvia McKevitt, MD
Renton Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unilateral eyelid droop

Unilateral eyelid droop should be evaluated to evaluate the cause.  It is most commonly caused by weakness of the muscle that elevates the eyelid, but it can also be secondary to other causes (the globe sinking in, neurologic disorders, tumors, etc).  See a facial specialist who can give you a detailed examination and determine the best solution based on your specific problem.  All the best!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyes Uneven after Contact use? #Ptosis

Let me ask, was this a hard/gas permeable lens?  if so, these can be associated with causing a weakness in the natural muscles that hold the upper eyelid upwards (i.e. the levator muscle).  There is no substitute for a full evaluation by a oculoplastic trained board certified plastic surgeon.  The surgery to correct this condition (known as ptosis is very precise) and should be performed by an experienced surgeron.  In your case, photos would be helpful to determine the cause of the droopiness.  Best of luck!  Dr. Pacella