Can Eyelid Surgery Be Done Without Anesthesia?

Can bleph eyelid surgery be done without anesthesia?  If so, how does it work?

Eyelid surgery without anesthesia would be intolerably painful

+3

Eyelid surgery or for that matter any surgery would be too painful to perform without any anesthesia. I suspect that you meant to ask whether eyelid surgery could be performed while you are completely awake under a local anesthetic alone. This would be comparable to having a cavity filled by your dentist with an injection of the local anesthetic in your gum.

In the case of blephroplasty or eyelid surgery, local anesthetic alone would suffice but I wouldn't recommend it. Patients undergoing eyelid surgery while completely lucid can't help but have an increase in their blood pressure because they are understandably nervous. This increase in blood pressure causes an increase in bleeding that clouds the operative field and makes the surgery more difficult.

I find that for eyelid surgery, the patient must be made unaware of the goings on and this implies the need for either intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. Think of how you might react to seeing the scalpel come near your eyes and you will understand my point.

Don't pass on the local anesthesia!

+3

Hi Carole,

Upper and lower eyelid surgery is usually performed in my office under anesthesia. Local anesthesia with "adrenaline" is injected just under the skin about 5 to 10 minutes prior to the treatment. The only exception is if there is excessive fat pad protrusion in the lower lids, then I prefer having the patient under sedation anesthesia. Choose your surgeon carefully. Good luck.

Dr. P

Local anesthesia is my routine for eyelid surgery

+2

Local anesthesia is my general routine for blepharoplasty. The local anesthesia injections in the eyelids are not painless, but relatively low pain. Some patients desire a little oral or IV sedation which is always a possibility.

Web reference: http://www.yorkyates.com

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Local anesthesia preferred for blepharoplasty

+2

Upper eyelid blepharoplasty can be safely performed under local anesthesia in most patients. The preoperative workup of a patient for blepharoplasty is important in assessing the anesthetic and surgical risks of a patient. Your surgeon should be qualified in the surgical and perioperative managment of patients undergoing surgery.

Upper eyelid blepharoplasty can be performed under general anesthesia and conscious sedation, however, local anesthesia with or without an anxiolytic is preferred.

Eyelid surgery can be performed without general anesthesia.

+2

Eyelid surgery can be performed without general anesthesia. It is reasonable to undergo upper eyelid blepharoplasty under straight local anesthesia. One can also perform some types of lower lid blepharoplasty procedures under local anesthesia as well. For some more aggressive procedures, patients will benefit from some sort of sedation or general anesthesia.

Blepharoplasty with valium and lidocaine

+2

I have a plastic surgeon who does these in my office and uses 5 mg of valium and local anesthesia. His patients are very pleased and are driven home by a friend or spouse. I have watched him do this in many patients and I don't perceive them to have any discomfort whatsoever! Dr. Raffy Karamanoukian (disclosure - my brother) also does these in his offices. I think it is well tolerated.

As a heart surgeon myself, I have done coronary bypass surgery on a dozen people who had eyelid surgery under general anesthesia and approximately a week later they had suffered a heart attack - it is related to the eyelid surgery in that any kind of general anesthesia risks coronary ischemia if there is undiagnosed coronary artery disease.

I therefore recommend that whether a blepharoplasty is being done under local or general anesthesia, that the doctor doing it screens you for possible heart problems by asking you some simple questions that are directed toward that.

Buffalo General Surgeon

It could - but you wouldn't want it

+2

Some form of anesthesia is needed to do any kind of surgery. There are generally three levels of anesthesia - local, sedation, and general. Local is similar to what most dentists will administer. It involves injecting numbing medicine at the area to be operated on. Sedation involves some sort of medication which alters a person's state of consciousness. In general sedation will not require a breathing tube and is fairly easy to rebound from. General anesthesia is what is thought about for most surgeries. In this type of anesthesia, the patient is completely asleep, requires a breathing tube and can take a day or two to recover.

Eyelid surgery can be done with any of the three types of anesthesia. Upper eyelid surgery is probably most commonly done using local anesthesia though there are circumstances where sedation or even general is necessary. Lower eyelid surgery is a bit more complicated. There is usually more involved with lower eyelid surgery than upper eyelid surgery and there is probably an even split to be able to perform the surgery using local, sedation, or general anesthesia. There is no answer for every situation and consultation with your surgeon, specifically expressing your wishes for the type of anesthesia are very important.

Hope this help.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery without General Anesthesia

+2

Certain types of eyelid rejuvination can be done with only local anesthesia. More complex and deeper procedures involving fat or muscle work require sedation or general anesthesia. Local anesthesia is given with an injection (usually Lidocaine). No surgery on the body can be done without at least local anesthesia.

Upper and lower eyelid blepharoplasty where only skin needs to be removed can be done under local.

Look in the mirror and see if your upper eyelid skin appears to be excessive. Then note if your eyebrows have fallen significantly. Next look at the upper eyelid area below your eyebrow and to the side of your upper nose. See if that region looks puffy. If your eyebrows are still high and you don't have puffiness next to the nose, then a skin only procedure may be right for you.

For the lower eyelids, look to see if there is significant puffiness betwen the eyelid and the cheek. Look to see if your eyelid is tight against your eye and snaps back quickly after you pull it away from the eyeball. Look for wrinkling in the skin. If you only have wrinkled skin and your eyelid snaps back quickly, then a skin only lower eyelid procedure (skin pinch) may be the appropriate procedure for you.

Keep in mind that the eyelid region is very sensitive. Some patients (5-15%) are resistant to the effects of local anesthetics. You have to be a little tough to have a local-only eyelid procedure. Usually, I ask my patients if they are OK at the dentist. If they say yes, then local facial plastic procedures usually go well.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can eyelid surgery be done without anesthesia

+1
  A  skin only upper blepharoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia with minimal pain. When removing the 2 fatty compartments on the upper lids and the 3 fatty compartments on the lower lids, it is very painful, therefore for patient safety and comfort we perform blepharoplasty surgery under general anesthesia with a board certified physician anesthesiologist. For many examples, please see the link below to our eyelid surgery photo gallery

Web reference: http://www.eyelids.com

+1
Blepharoplasty and eyelid surgery does require some form of anaesthesia. There are three types of anaesthesia - local, sedative anaesthesia and general anaesthesia.
Local anaesthesia involves injecting numbing medicine at the area to be operated on. Almost all upper blepharoplasty I use local anaesthesia only, when used in combination with oral medications, patients have a very rapid recovery and are able to go home less than thirty minutes after upper blepharoplasty.
Sedative anaesthesia also known as twilight anaesthesia means an anaesthesiologist gives you some medications that make you sleep during the surgery. I generally uses sedation anaesthesia for lower eyelid surgery, which ensures a comfortable experience, as patients have a rapid recovery and go home approximately thirty minutes after the lower blepharoplasty with an escort or chaperone.
General anaesthesia means that the patient is completely unconscious, requires a breathing tube and the recovery is slower taking a minimum of 4-6 hours. For blepharoplasty, general anaesthesia is not usually required unless the eyelid surgery is combined with other techniques including face and necklifting.
The ideal choice of anaesthesia does differ for each patient, as depending on your medical history, previous experiences of anaesthesia and allergies, different types of anaesthesia are best suited. 
London Facial Plastic Surgeon