Non-surgical Treatment for Undereye Bags?

Is there a non-surgical way to treat bags under the eyes? I'm getting to the age where they are starting to become noticeable (I'm 41), so is there any drug or process to eliminate them at least temporarily? I'm really not interested in surgery, but I also don't want to waste my time.

Non-surgical treatment for under eye bags

The first thing I'd say is beware of absolutes. For someone to say that there is no other option, or this is the only option, etc. is based on preference more than facts, and I would disagree with the statement that there are no nonsurgical options for lower eyelid bags.

Now I am a surgeon, I like doing surgery, and there are definitely times where it is the best option, but it is not the only option if it is something that you are vehemently trying to avoid.

Fillers can be an excellent option to address under eye bags, and there are even new types of clear skin tape/under eyes stickers that are aimed at reducing the appearance of under eye bags. Most nonsurgical options are going to just camouflage or try to disguise the under eye bags, but sometimes this may be all you want or all you need.

Those camouflaging options are often something that needs to be repeated, from daily to every few months.
To find the best option for you, seek out a dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

There is No Effective Non Surgical Treatment for Under Eye Bags

Thank you for your important question.

Puffiness of or Bags Under Eyes is a structural problem caused by excess or herniation of eyelid fat bulging against the eyelid skin.

This fat must be repositioned and or removed to remove the puffiness or bag.

Do not believe ads that say a cream or laser treatment will remove puffiness or eye bags-they will not.

Fat injection and Filler injection such as Restylane can camouflage the problem but injections into the eyelid can be dangerous and should only be done by an expert who is familiar with this technique

Restylane might help

At 41, you might have early tear troughs making it look like you have buldging fat bags above them. It may be that rather than needing fat removed or repositioned, you could mask the tear trough very effectively with Restylane. I have had many patients with this and they have great non-surgical results that last a year or longer.

Non surgical treatments for Eyelid bags

There are many non surgical effective options for improvement of "bags". HA fillers can be an excellent way to improve the junction of the lid and cheek to improve the aesthetics. Ulthera is another very effective option for improving the appearance of the peri-occular tissues. Please keep in mind that only a consolation with a skilled provider will be able to determine whether a non surgical option is right for you. Hope this helps

Julian W. Dixon, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Under eyelid bags and dark circles can be improved

It is an excellent question.  Can "eye bags" on the lower eyelid be treated.  The eye bags are usually inherited and results from orbital fat herniating or outpouching below the skin of the eyelid.  The only way to completely fix this problem is through surgery.  Lower blephroplasty, in the hands of an expert, results in removal or repositioning of the orbital fat.  Excellent results can be obtained with an approach near the eyelashes.

Good improvements can be made by using cheek volumization, tear trough filler and resurfacing with carbon dioxide.  For a really nice improvement in the area, some patients would benefit from doing all of these procedures, but the problem can't be completely solved without surgery.

Michael Howard Swann, MD
Springfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers

Injectable fillers can help reduce the appearance of undereye bags by addressing volume deficiency. The results are temporary.

Treatment for Eye Bags Surgical or Non-Surgical

Non-surgical options can be used to treat eye bags.  Oftentimes a dermal filler can be injected to smooth the contour of the lower eyelid or tear-trough region.  In addition, chemical peels or laser can also be used to smooth the texture of skin.  The issue is that these results are often not permanent, and over time repeated treatments can be costly.  Factoring in the cost of a peel and filler every 6 to 8 mos, in about 2 years, you would have paid for the cost of a permanent fix.  Surgery is really the gold standard for fixing eye bags.  With minimal invasive techniques (such as a trans-conjunctival blepharoplasty), swelling is short-lived and downtime can be minimized.  This is certainly worth a discussion with your board-certified plastic surgeon who is experinced in eye bags treatment.  Bets of luck to you!  Dr. Pacella

Stop aging: Under eye aging is treatable with many methods.

There have been many advancements in under eye enhancement in the past 10 years. You should seek a consult with a certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and discuss not only the best treatment, but the best acceptable treatment for you, given your aversion to surgery. It might include under eye filler injections with a dilute hyaluronic gel, an under eye chemical peel, a skin care regimen, and/or surgery. Learn what's best for your anatomy and then decide how to proceed. 

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical treatment for eye bags and other contours under eyes is not a waste of time

In most instances, especially in the younger population (which you are still a member of!), non-surgical options for treating bags and contour irregularities under the eyes are very good.  Typically we would inject a filler to camouflage the contours, and this is something that can be performed very easily in an office setting with local anesthesia.  While there are a number of fillers available on the market today, some work better than others for specific purposes, especially this one.  In addition, there are different techniques for injection, and again, some have more advantages than others.  For instance, I typically favor using a microcannula for this particular purpose because, unlike injecting this area with a needle, bruising and swelling are almost non-existent and the risk of injecting into a blood vessel and causing blindness is all but eliminated.  These are some reasons why it is important to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic, facial plastic, or occuloplastic surgeon who understands the surgical anatomy of this area and has experience with a wide range of fillers and techniques so that you can learn about all of your options for treating this area and give you the best chance of avoiding complications and getting the results that you want.  Good luck.