How Will Botox Affect Blepharoplasty Result?

I had an upper Blepharoplasty. I would like to know how long after I can evaluate the results? My concern is that I had the surgery 4 months after having Botox for crow's feet.

I told the surgeon about the timing, and he was not concerned (he did not administer the Botox). I have since been reading on the site the fact that the Botox can affect the results, and that it can take up to 6 months to wear off.

Should I be concerned if it had not completely worn off? Does it wear off gradually or suddenly? Should most of the effects be gone at 4 months?

Botox will not harm and can improve Blepharoplasty results

+2

I recommend

Botox

injections for all of my

blepharoplasty

patients because Botox reduces the

crows feet

which can mar an otherwise beautiful blepharoplasty result.

I wait until after the blepharoplasty to administer Botox only because I have found that the surgery can reduce the duration of the Botox result-thus I am trying to save the patient the expense of additional Botox treatments.

Having Botox several months before a Blepharoplasty should have no negative effect on your Blepharoplasty.

Botox and blepharoplasty

+2

Botox should not interfere with upper eyelid surgery per se. However when judging eyelid position and brow position it is best not to have Botox on board.

Also, Botox can diminish orbicularis function and should be used with caution after lower eyelid surgery or cheeklift procedures.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Botox and blepharoplasty

+1

The short of it is that in 4 months the botox should have minimally affected your blepharoplasty results. It is almost completely worn off and shouldnt affect the outcome.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox affecting blepharoplasty results?

+1

While I would do the Botox after eyelid surgery rather than before, I really doubt that your treatment sequence had any effect on the result from your bleph. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Botox; Before or After an Upper lid Job (Blepharoplasty)

+1

Depending on the person, if she has been getting Botox or this is her first treatment and the freshness and the amount of units of the Botox given - treatment of the Crow's feet areas results in smoothing from 4 to 6 months.

Theoretically, the surgeon may want to see the extent of the crow's feet IF they are associated with a large amount of upper lid skin because the surgical scar is designed to fall into one of the crow's feet wrinkles. Practically, such wrinkles leave a faint mark which is visible to the trained eye and a good surgeon can see it for scar placement. If the Botox effect was still on in your case, it probably was not very strong and I doubt it changed anything significantly.

Personally, I would do the eyelid surgery first and use Botox afterward to make my results look even better.

Dr. P. Aldea

OK to have blepharoplasty 4 months after Botox.

+1

Hi.

1)  The results of Botox injections wear off at 4 months.

2)  The Botox will have no effect on your blepharoplasty.

3)   You see most of the result of a blepharoplasty in one month, except that the scars continue to improve.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

It has no effect

+1

The only time that Botox would be a concern with the upper lids is if you got a lid droop due to the Botox. Or if you have significant brow droop that is accentuated with the Botox.

Standard Botox treatment of the crow's feet, forehead or glabellar region has no effect on a blepharoplasty.

So don't worry. I'll bet your results will be excellent.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

No change with Botox

+1

The effect of Botox will most likely be gone by 3 - 4 months and this would not effect a blepharoplasty in anyway. A standard blepharoplasy will have not lasting effect on the crow's foot area and a botox injection would only enhance your result.

Botox and Blepharoplasty

+1

Botox should not effect your blepharoplasty results. In fact, many surgeons prefer to treat their patients with Botox just prior to blepharoplasty. This, in theory, relaxes the obicularis muscle allowing for better skin healing.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Botox should not interfere

+1

Canada: Botox used to treat crow's feet / squint lines typically wears off gradually between 3 & 4 months. Some mild effect may be present longer, but not much. If you had been using Botox in that area more than two years on a regular basis, you might achieve a longer lasting effect. I do not think that you should be concerned. Regular use of Botox to treat those lines is a potential benefit for you and a supplement to your upper blepharoplasty surgery. You were right to alert your surgeon to the prior use of Botox and its timing. As far as evaluating your results from blepharoplasty; you should see benefits within 1-2 weeks, most of the swelling should be gone in 1-2 months (depending on techniques), and results can improve for 6-12 months as final scar fading occurs. Your surgeon should be able to advise you more specifically.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon