Is 25 Too Young for a Non-surgical Face Lift?

A few years ago I lost 90 pounds, I'm now at a healthy weight but have noticed that from the beginning of my weight loss my face started looking 'flabby'. When I pull my cheeks up from the sides of my face with my fingers, I see a perfect set of cheekbones and an ideal face shape. I don't want a full blown facelift. I'd prefer a non-surgical face lift (eg. thread lift).I have thick skin with no wrinkles and enough volume/fatty tissue. Please advice me on my options.

Too Young for a Non Surgical Facelift?

+7

Your face looks wonderful! Some skin laxity is common after weight loss but you really look great. I would advise against undergoing any surgical procedure that would leave scars at your age.

The skin tightening machines, Thermage, Titan, LuxIR and others do work best in young people like you but the best results are 20-30% and are very subtle.

If your cheeks are the primary concern, facial fillers like Restylane, Radiesse, Juvederm, Perlane and Sculptra can add volume to the face and plump the cheek and midface. This would be your best option if you really want to take action.

25 is not too young to look good...

+3

If you can look better with little effort and risk, you should do it. We also treat ladies aged 80+. Quality of life is precious at any age.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Non-surgical facelift options

+2

Because of your 90 pound weight loss, you have a little more laxity in your tissue than a normal 25 year old. There are no great non-surgical options other than fillers placed in the folds and over the cheek bones. These "liquid facelifts" can be very nice.

Threadlifts have been passed over as they don't give you enough result for enough time to be worth doing them. Thermage and Titan also are unimpressive for the costs involved.

Do non-permanent fillers for a while and consider a cheek lift in your 30's.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Non-surgical Face Lift for a young person

+1
A non-surgical approach would be the most appropriate one for you.  Because of the 90 pound weight loss I am sure there is skin laxity.  Thermage would be the best way to non-surgically tighten the skin.  It works extremely well on young patients and has no down time.  It will correct and tighten the skin by approximately 25% which will improve the skin and create new collagen.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Thermage.

Michele S. Green, MD

Facial laxity after large weight loss

+1
Young skin will tighten over a long period of time following a large weight loss.  If this is stable now you should consult with a surgeon who has many options available to you.  I would not recommend surgery and honestly I think you should not be concerned at present with the minimal problem that you have.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Voluma can help lift your face

+1
Thank you for posting a photo. I recommend learning more about Voluma; this is a new facial filler that will instantly restore volume to the mid-face. Consult with your doctor to make sure you are a good candidate for Voluma.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Ultherapy for facial tightening - Los Angeles

+1

Great question. We advise patients to undergo non surgical face tightening such as the Ulthera procedure. This works great to tighten the lower face and neck. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Non-surgical facelift, juvederm, prp, restylane, sculptra

+1

This is a common problem. When individuals lose weight, this usually begins with fat loss in the face. Fillers, used in a non-surgical facelift, or a liquid facelift, generally is the best option. I use restylane, juvederm, PRP and/or sculptra to get the best results.

Barry Lycka, MD
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Effects of Weight Loss on the Younger Face

+1

First of all, congrats on losing weight and staying healthy! Don't discount the hard work that takes.

Your skin does get stretched out when you are carrying extra weight. After losing that weight, some patient's skin does not have the ability to "snap" back to that tighter position. In the most severe cases, a traditional "facelift" can be done. But that is not the case with you. The deeper folds you see around your nose and mouth are a result of the "volume" you lost with the weight loss. Using fillers, fat grafting and/or PRP (Protein-Rich Plasma) can greatly restore that volume and bring back a smoother contour to the face.

There may be some benefit in using non-invasive skin/muscle tightening treatments, like Ultherapy, but none of those on their own will provide enough correction. It would be one way to practice prevention in the skin loosening more quickly over time.

Please do not go looking for ThreadLifts anymore, they've been wrought with poor results that do not last, and numerous complications.

Manu Gujrati, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too young for non-surgical face lift?

+1

After massive weight loss, you may develop significant laxity of tissues in many body areas including the face.  Age alone doesn't preclude you from a non-surgical face lift.  Restoring some volume in strategic areas using fillers may have a profound effect of reducing the laxity in your face.  You can also consider treatments such as Ultherapy which may help you reduce the laxity in the facial tissues.  Good luck.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD