How Long Do Microcurrent Treatments Around the Eyes Last?

I actually need an upper blepharoplasty, but I decided to look for a short-term solution through the holidays. Will 3 or 4 sessions in one month give noticeable results for at least a few weeks?

Combine Microcurrent with Botox

+3

To look refreshed through the holiday season and avoid the downtime associated with blepharoplasty, I recommend Botox to lift your brows followed by a series of microcurrent treatments.

Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Galvanic microcurrent effects for the eyelids

+2

Research that I did in the mid-80's showed an 80% enhancement of movement of charged active chemicals through the skin surface with galvanic electromagnetic fields.  When applied to certain topical medications around the eyelids, similar effects and enhanced results are seen to last for several hours and even days.  These can produce better hydration, skin tightening, muscle toning, and even improvements in lower lid bags to a subtle degree.  If you are diligent with applications 2 to 3 times a week, my patients can look years younger after a month or two.  However, if this effect is not satisfactory, there is always surgery. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Microcurrent treatments are very temporary

+1

Microcurrent treatments are very temporary. For a lasting result, a 4 lid blepharoplasty would be my recommendation, possibly combined with a brow lift (not forehead lift)

Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon

Microcurrent Treatment of Eyelids

+1

I am not aware of any study showing the benefits of this treatment. It may be easy, but it will still cost money. My advice is to talk to a surgeon about an upper blepharoplasty, a relatively straight-forward procedure.

Be Careful of Marketing

+1

Thanks for the question Vetta -

Microcurrent treatments have been around for over 100 years aimed at treating everything from weight loss to depression to most recently skin tightening.

Many people (usually non-MDs) supporting this treatment quote a U of Washington study "Using frequency specific micro amperage performed at the University of Washington indicated a 10-14% increase in the production of collagen, 48% increase in elastin production, and a 38% increase in blood circulation over the course of 20 days of use of the current."

This study looked at electrical microcurrents in wound healing and invovled continuous current and like everything there are no easy answers to whether concepts in a lab translate into clinical treatments.

People have used this data to claim skin tightening effects.

Treatments like laser and even thermage can achieve skin tightening by actually applying energy to the dermis causing collagen remodeling - a proven mechanism for skin tightening.

Microcurrent technology is much less clear in its ability to tighten skin.

I don't see the mechanism.

The other issue is lid skin can be very fine and refractory to even established non-surgical techniques (I don't know of any successful usages of thermage for lid tightening).

My suggestion would be to discuss your issue with a board certified plastic surgeon. You may find an upper bleph is a straightforward, low complication way to permanently solve your problems.

Steven Williams, MD
Tri Valley Plastic Surgery
4000 Dublin Blvd. Suite 300
Dublin, CA 94568
(925) 875-0700
www.trivalleyplasticsurgery.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.