Nipple Reduction for Men?

Is this procedure common and or expensive? What is the average cost? How long after can you expect to go back to work? Any reasons why one would be denied? Can they make it so you have a flush or almost no nipple at all? Could it be as little as possible especially in the outward diretion?

Nipple reduction for men

A very timely question.  I just fininshed removing stitches on a young man who had "puffy" areolas and overly prominent nipples.  He was otherwise happy with his chest (me too!).  I perfomed a procedure where I tightened up his areolas and reduced his nipple length.  He wanted his nipples almost flush and I accomplished that.  He's very happy with his early result and I think his long term result will be excellent. 

I was able to do his procedure under local anesthesia.  He drove himself home and was able to return to work after one day of recuperation.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Male nipple reduction reduces self-consciousness

Men with protruding nipples describe self-consciousness when wearing a bathing suit or a light T-shirt. Many wear dark colored shirts, shirts with letters across the chest, or two T-shirts at once--even in the summertime.
Male nipple reduction is performed under local anesthesia.  Laughing gas may also be used, if desired, at no additional charge.  Chevron-shaped (think of the Chevron logo) removal of excess tissue is performed, and the incisions are closed with absorbable sutures.  I generally recommend leaving some residual nipple projection, though the nipples can be reduced considerably. The scars are frequently imperceptible.  Surgical cost is about $1200 for both nipples.

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Nipple reduction for men

Both men and women will consider nipple reduction surgery if they find that the degree of nipple show through clothing is too prominent.  The degree of nipple shortening or flattening is really patient preference and yes, you can make it completely flat if desired.  I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options.

Nipple reduction in men

I have seen a variety of different types of nipples that people want reduced.  Different options exist depending on the cause of the problem:  glandular tissue beneath, prominent nipple, large circumference, etc.  Any of these issues can be corrected but the technique, scars, and risks may vary.  Discuss it with your surgeon.  If you have the right surgery I think you will be pleased with the improvement.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Nipple Reduction for Men

Nipple reduction is fairly routine and the cost is modest compared to other cosmetic procedures.  You can expect to be able to return to work in just a day or two, though you may experience light soreness for a few days.  A plastic surgeon who has performed nipple reduction in the past should be able to reduce the projection of your nipple so it is almost flat (see before and after photos on our gynecomastia website for examples).

Regarding your question about whether you might be denied, it's virtually certain that your insurance company won't cover the procedure (call to find out more from your carrier).  A plastic surgeon is unlikely to decline to operate on you unless you have a serious health issue.  Arrange a consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon to find out all the details you need to know.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.

Male Nipple Reduction

Fortunately, male  nipple reduction is a relatively simple procedure that can be performed using a local anesthetic as an office procedure. The recovery is rapid and you will be able to return to work quickly if no heavy lifting is involved. You should be able to achieve your goals of a flat nipple.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Male nipple reduction

Nipple reduction is a simple procedure which can be performed under local anesthesia. When you ask about denial, if you are referring to insurance, the procedure would be considered cosmetic. Patients can return to work within several days but should refrain from exercise for several weeks. Cost would vary depending on the amount of work required but would begin at $2500.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Nipple reduction for Men

Nipple reduction for men is a good procedure to treat prominent nipples. I do this procedure by removing a segment of nipple and covering the area with a superior little flap. The degree of flattening (most men want the result to be  almost flush with the areola)  can be tailored to the patient's requests.

This procedure is usually done under local anesthesia and requires no time off from most types of work. Patient satisfaction was a high and scars  often not noticeable.

Nipple Reduction for Men is possible.

Excessively projecting nipples in men can be corrected by nipple reduction surgery.

These procedures are generally done under local anesthesia.

Seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who will examine you and advise you on your options.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Male nipple reduction is not an uncommon request.

Male nipple reduction is requested commonly and may be just an elongated and large nipple or may be present in the setting of a disproportionately large diameter areola or occur along with various degrees of gynecomastia. Improvements can often be achieved under local anesthesia. Patients usually are back in public and at work within a day or two but should avoid exercise and possible trauma to the area for a few weeks.

Often the degree of change needed is small but results are long lasting and can lead to improved confidence. Ask a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an opinion.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon