Are There Nipple Implants for Breast Reconstruction?

Are there nipple implants or cohesive gel implants (formed) that are made with a shape that could create a more normal looking breast/nipple? It would seem better to have a whole breast shape with a protruded areola and nipple bump for people who are undergoing total breast reconstruction.

Your own tissue best for nipple reconstruction

+3

The best way to reconstruct a nipple is to use your own tissue to create the projection. This will give the most natural look. Some patients can supplement this with restylane to give more projection if some is lost. I usually will add a skin graft ato create the areola and tattoo it for color match to the other side.

As far as shaped implants, they are not available in the USA for routine use at this time.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Nipple reconstruction

+3

There are numerous ways to create a new nipple. Usually a local flap is used to create the nipple projection, often after the skin to be used and the new areola is tattooed for color as it is easier to tattoo the skin flat than when standing as the new nipple. The problem is maintaining the nipple project as it tends to shrink and flatten over time. Various materials can and have been used to augment or maintain this projection from fat grafts, dermal graft, alloderm, cartilage and even small implants. You can even do nipple-sharing by taking half of the good nipple if it is large, and using it as a graft.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Nipple Reconstruction After Breast Cancer

+3

Nipple Reconstruction is an art and is typically performed after breast reconstruction. There are a myriad of techniques to reconstruct the nipple, including local flaps and subcutaneous cartilage placement.

These techniques are surgeon dependent. In general, the nipple resumes a normal shape and size but lacks the sensation of a normal nipple.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Nipple Reconstruction

+2

With advancements in modern medicine and technology there are several techniques for nipple/ areola reconstruction. Consult with an EXPERIENCED board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and recommendation. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Nipple reconstruction

+2

Nipple reconstruction is performed on the breast mound with local flaps after the implant or autologous tissue reconstruction has healed.

Nipple reconstruction

+2

The best technique for nipple reconstruction is to use the patient's own tissue as a flap (C-V flap or others).

The key is over-correction, as the size will get smaller with time. Adding a small piece of alloderm or fat graft to the nipple could enhance the volume and prevent further resorption.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Not at this time.

+1
That is an interesting question.  More and ore my patients are opting for 3D nipple tattooing!Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

We reconstruct the nipple using your own tissue for optimium results.

+1

There aren’t special implants used for reconstructive surgery that have a nipple attached. Instead, the nipple is recreated after reconstruction, with the best results seen from using the patient’s own tissue to create dimension followed by tattooing to achieve the proper pigmentation. The problem with including a nipple protrusion on the implant itself is that you run the risk of implants shifting or rotating within the breast, which would then cause the “nipple” to become skewed. Surface reconstruction is really the best choice, and the results (when performed by a skilled and experienced breast reconstruction surgeon) can look very natural.

David N. Sayah, MD, FACS

Nipple reconstruction techniques

+1

There are various techniques and options for nipple reconstruction - decision on which is surgeon dependent.  To answer your question, there are companies that create "structures" for nipples, which are meant to be placed beneath the reconstructed nipple flaps created with your skin.  I typically create the nipple using your own skin flaps at the anatomically-appropriate position.  Depending on the quality of your skin there will depend on if I use a nipple graft or not.  Often times when a flap is used for the breast reconstruction, the tissue is much thicker, and thus, grafts are not typically needed.  If a graft is required to add additional durability and projection, I personally do not use foreign substances.  I prefer to use your own dermis, which I harvest from one of your previous scars.  Finally, I like to tattoo the nipple-areolar complex rather than placing skin grafts as I find it more aesthetically-pleasing.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Nipple Reconstruction

+1

Generally they are created from the patients own skin by using creative geometric flaps. Some people do use biological material to bolster the nipple projection. The biggest issue with nipple reconstruction is nipple projection. Implants will not affect the nipple or its projection in any way.  

Raj S. Ambay, MD