Do Breast Reconstruction Tissue Expanders Cause Pain As They Expand?

It seems like a tissue expander would be painful as it stretches the skin - am I crazy?

It can hurt sometimes, especially if you are slim.

If you think about it, an expander is not really expanding your skin very much. Especially if you have received a skin sparing mastectomy, your skin is very close to the right amount of skin that you need. The expander is really stretching out the muscle, which is flat to your chest at the time of mastectomy, and the tissue expander is placed under the muscle with minimal fluid in it. Then the plastic surgeon stretches it out with each fill, giving your breast extra layers of coverage. Now that you have this concept down, you can understand the achiness that sometimes follows expansion. Usually it is more like pressure or muscle soreness. Most people do great with some motrin. Honestly, though, a few patients have to stop expansion because they feel so tight. The pain can be minimized by having your surgeon perform smaller fills - like 25cc at a time. Of course, this does prolong the process. You can ask about flap reconstruction or immediate implant placement as alternatives to the tisue expansion process.