How Many Cc is Needed for 36 to 38C Breasts?

I'm going to have breast reconstruction due to a double masectomy. Please help me, this is very stressful.

Your ideal breast size for reconstruction.

+3

A double mastectomy can be very traumatic psychologically but with modern techniques the end result can be very attractive and satisfying. Because you are asking about cc's I presume that you are going to be getting implants. Most commonly implants are placed after expanders are placed and then a gradual expansion of the tissue is accomplished over several months. As the expanders are being filled you will see a gradual increase in breast size At some point you may identify that particular volume as what you were thinking of.

You and your surgeon can make note of that and them when the final exchange for an implant is ready you will have a very good idea of where you want to be. Remember, the final expansion volume will be well beyond that ideal volume you were thinking of. You have to stretch the skin to get a natural look for the breast. Remember to check the diameter for the implant and compare it to the diameter of your breast. That measurement needs to be pretty close to get an attractive result. Also there are many shapes for the implant and your surgeon will help you with that.

Wishing you all the best in your brave decision..stay positive.

Talk to your plastic surgeon about your goals.

+3

It is very normal to be stressed with all you are going through. When I talk to a patient about reconstruction I first try and determine the patients goals as to size. My experience is that most women want to get back to the size they were before the surgery but this is not always the case - some want to be bigger and some smaller.

The ultimate choice of implant size is based on the size of the womans rib cage - a bigger chest diameter say 38 or 40 would require a bigger implant to acheive a certain cup size while a smaller chest diameter- say a 32 or 34 - would require a smaller implant. Implants come not only in cc's but also in diferent base diameters which change the projection of the breast implant.

This all sounds very confusing but your plastic surgeon should be able to help you understand which implant would be the best choice for you. I sometimes use the weight of the breast that was removed during the mastectomy to give me a guide as to the appropriate size. If the mastectomies were done a while ago I have also found it helpful to have the patient try on a bra in the size they wish to fill and use implants to fill the bra and get a idea of the appropriate size for the desired reconstruction.

Susan E. Downey, MD

Breast cup size

+3

After a mastectomy, the chest wil require larger implants than normally used in primary breast augmentation. The back size( 36 or 38) will stay the same. The best way to figure out what works best for you is to see how they look when filling up the tissue expanders. When the volume you like is reached, let the doctor know and then he/she can size up the implants after the pockets are overstretched.

I Agree, No Exact answer.

+2

The number (36,38, etc.) refers to the circumfrence around the chest in inches. The letter refers to the actual cup size an is not directly & exactly related to the chest circumfrence.

Really, this means that a woman with a large chest (say 42" can have small breasts, while a woman with a small chest (say 32") can be busty for her size.

I assume that you will be getting implants to make up for the volume deficit. Likely, you will need expanders, and the process will take many months. If I am correct, work with your ps, and pay attention to how much fluid he inflates the implant. You can use this information for when you have the permanent implants placed.

In my opinion, the most important thing about implant sizing, is getting the diameter correct. Beyond that, the projection can be adjusted with overfill, or different projection implants.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast implant size is always an issue - Make sure everyone is on the same page

+2

Nothing in breast augmentation stirs up as much anxiety as size. I believe that several factors need to be considered.

1. Dissatisfaction with breast size is the number one cause for re-operation in breast augmentation.

2. Do not go into breast augmentation seeking a specific breast size and cup size, this will surely lead to some degree of dissatisfaction with your final result. It is more important to gather together photographs of your likes and dislikes when it comes to breast size, shape and form. Photos both naked and in bathing suits or bras are helpful. Review these with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery so that you are each speaking the same language when it comes to size.

3. Sizing implants slipped into your bra can give you a relative estimate of breast implant volume. At least it will get you in the ball park.

4. An easy method is to get a bra that you want to wear after surgery. Get a measuring cup that is marked in ml or cc's. Measure out a specific amount of dry rice. In general for every 200 cc's of volume you will go up a cup size. (this will vary depending upon the base of your existing breast, if you have a very wide base it will require more volume, if you are narrow it will require less. Put the rice in a nylon stocking or baggy. Put this in your bra and move it around. This will give you an idea of size + or - 20%.

5. Remember that breast augmentation will only give you a bigger version of yourself. It will not look like any other breast. Every one starts at a different place as far as size and existing breast volume.

6. Go to websites where there are many before and after examples that you can print and bring to your consultation. This will help in the size discussion.

Good luck with your decisions.

Depends on the amount skin and also kind of mastectomy

+2

For the breast reconstruction the main goal is to have a viable skin envelop, and this limits the size. There is no direct answer to the size question, since there is no standard cup size and it varies from brand to brand.

Discuss you wish with your surgeon and let him decide the size that will give the best result.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

How much volume for breast reconstruction

+1
It is no doubt a stressful time.  I see it every day. How much volume to change your cup really depends on the size of your chest and breast base.  Two things to keep in mind: your surgeon can help you decide these questions and you don't have to have the answer right now.  Typically your surgeon will measure the width and height of your breast base and put in as large an expander and they can.  You and your surgeon will watch your breast take shape with each expansion.  When you get to the size you like, you will do 1-2 more expansions so that the final implant will move a bit more naturally.  You can choose as you go along.  Some of my patients really like that flexibility.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Breast implant choice

+1
I base all of this on the measurements of your body to try to re-create you breast form!  We then can use 3D imaging as well to help evaluate tissue expander reconstruction.  Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Translating CCs to cup size is challenging.

+1

It is very understandable to fell nervous about choosing the right implant size after reconstruction. First, it is important to realize that there is no standardization when it comes to bras and cup sizes, so one manufacturer’s C cup might be another’s B or D cup, depending. Most plastic surgeons will tell you that it takes about 150-200 ccs to go up one cup size. However, this number varies depending on your band size, which is the measurement around your ribcage (the numeric portion of your bra size). Your surgeon should walk you through a number of options when discussing implant size to help you feel comfortable with your choice, either by using sizers or even using an actual implant slipped into a bra. Remember, the specific implant size and bra size are far less important than achieving natural-looking, proportionate results.

David N. Sayah, MD, FACS

Determining breast size

+1

It appears that you are opting for implant-based reconstruction of your breasts, for which I wish you the best during your mastectomy and reconstruction...excellent results can be achieved with such.This is a very common question asked during breast reconstruction.  The volume needed to achieve this result will differ amongst each woman.  You must take into account body habitus, height, weight, as well as the projection-type of implant used.  A smaller woman will require much less volume (cc's) than a much larger and taller woman would.  The chest girth in inches (36, 38, etc.) will not change as this is a measure of the chest circumference beneath the breasts.  The cup size (B, C, D, etc.) is measured by the projection from the chest.  Also, this is always variable, as not all bras are made standard and one brand may give a different cup size from another.  Determining this value during your expansion process, if you are having tissue expanders placed initially, may be the easiest way, as you could see the size as it expands and determine for yourself when you are happy with the size in clothing.  Your surgeon would then put in a similar volume upon the exchange of your expanders for the implants.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD