Will Nipple and Breast Numbness After Breast Implants Go Away?

I had breast augmentation 2 weeks ago, and my nipples and a large part of my breasts are numb. Is this normal, and will it go away? I started as a 34A, and had 375 cc's, putting me currently in the C-D range. I'm about 5'5", 120 lbs, light frame. My skin feels really tight, like it still hasn't stretched enough, and sometimes I feel like I have a tiny bit of heat rash on them. The crease scars still hurts a little, but nothing unbearable. More than anything, I want the sensation to return. Any advice?

Numbness improves over weeks and months

+2

SaraJane:

The numbness you experience at 2 weeks post-op will almost certainly improve. Some of it may resolve in the next few weeks. At least, you should notice changing sensations; numbness progressing to tingling progressing to decreased feeling, then hopefully normal sensation. Final improvement could take 6-18 months. In most studies permanent numbness rates are about 15%, but most patients feel altered sensation early on during their recovery.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

The sensation will most likely return

+2

The sensation should return over the next few weeks, but it may take several months or more.  I don't think it's anything to worry about at the moment:  be patient, heal well, and things should settle down and the sensation return in a few weeks time.

Web reference: http://www.drsalemy.com

Sensation Change after Augmentation

+1

Although the risk of permanent sensation loss is very low, it is possible to see temporary sensation changes that take 3-6 months to return.   I typically warn patients that the larger the implant that is placed, the higher the risk of sensation changes.     This is because the sensory nerve to the nipple and areola will be stretched by the implant.    The good news is that most cases stretch injury to the nerve results are temporary. 

I would recommend aggressive massage exercises to the implant and any areas of burning/tingling.  I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Numbness after augmentation mammoplasty

+1

Numbness and tightness occur after any operation where the skin and muscle are undermined. Remember just 2 wks. ago you were an A cup and now your skin is stretching to accommodate the prostheses and your brain needs time to relearn what your breasts feel like.

Be patient . It may take up to a year to feel "normal" again.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Change in sensation

+1

A temporary change in sensation is normal. About 85% of patients get their normal sensation back but it may take months in some. Usually, the larger you go, the more dissection, the more the sensory nerves are affected. Some will have hypersensitivity rather than numbness.

It takes 6-8 weeks for things to settle down after a augmentation Mamoplasty

+1

It is quite normal for there to be tightness, numbness and imperfect shape after augmentation mamoplasty. The tightness and shape should resolve with in 6-8 weeks. Some women who have had children are faster because they have already had their breast stretched out with their pregnancy. The numbness over the breast skin usually gets better but some times there are small areas that may persist for ever. With the nipple areolar area numbness, it too often comes back in 6-8 week but there is a small number that will not come back.

Will return

+1

Your surgery was just two weeks ago and some numbness is expected in the early postoperative period. The larger the implant and the more your skin stretches the more likely that you will experience numbness. Some patients develop hypersensitive nipples for a while. Your numbess will likely return but may take months or even over a year. Some patients do lose their nipple sensation permanently and that is something discussed prior to surgery as a risk that should be considered. Be patient and as your swelling resolves your sensation will also improve. Of course discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.