Does Capsular Contracture Make You Feel Ill?

I was told weeks ago that I need to have more breast surgery. I am starting to feel very ill, but with no pain. My implants, filled to 700 cc, are getting very hard. Does capsular contracture make you feel ill inside?

Should not, but possible

+1

One of the leading theories of cc is that a low grade, indolent infection causes the vigorous scar tissue that leads to contracture.  If this is true in your case and it is removed you may feel better.  Also, the contracture can cause discomfort and that could drag you down.

sek

Not Usually

+1

Hi there-

Capsular contracture can be uncomfortable, and when it progresses will certainly cause deformity and detract from the results of Breast Augmentation, but should not cause feelings of illness.

I would recommend that you see your family doctor or gynecologist to be sure something else isn't going on for which you need treatment- then you'll be able to pursue the necessary improvement in your breasts with greater peace of mind.

Good luck.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Capsule contracture should not cause illness

+1

Capsule contracture after breast augmentation should not cause any illness, however if the implants are very firm and causing stress and worry they could cause you to feel unwell. You have a very full augmentation and the rounding up and hardness can be a lot to bear. Pain or a drawing sensation is more common.

A breast infection can cause you to be ill and infection will be associated by breast redness, tenderness, low grade fever, and fatigue. If you do feel very ill it is well worth a trip to the doctor to discuss how you are feeling. I suggest a call to your plastic surgeon, and a visit to your family doctor for a checkup.

Concerning capsule contracture, surgery is effective in reducing the capsule less than 50% of the time. The need for more surgery should be weighed against the potential for an improved outcome. You may have to start asking yourself if the hardness is something you can live with if it continues or recurs, and what the options might be if you cannot.

peterejohnsonmd

Generally no, but...

+1

it depends on why you are developing capsular contractures. Infections are a cause of spontaneous hardening. In fact, bacteria is often cultured in the fluid surrounding the implant in cases of capsular contracture. While the capsular contacture as a clinical condition is merely a hardening due to the shrinking of the capsule around the implant, the real question is if there is anything instigating this process.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Capsules can cause pain but not illness

+1

A capsular contracture can cause pain and hardness but these are feelings restricted to the breast.  Overall bad feelings must be from another cause like an illness.  Check with your regular doctor for an evaluation.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

No, capsules are local problems

+1

If you feel ill, you should see your general doctor. Capsules are locally occuring problems that do not have any general physical manifestations. Your breasts may hurt and feel hard, but you will not feel ill because of it.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD