Will Ulthera Cause Damage to Facial Nerves?

I want to try the Ulthera therapy in HK, when i know the affected zone will be in quite deep area underneath the skin near muscles, i am concerning the effect on my facial nerves, when i asked the doctor, he couldn't assure me so much....therefore i want to make sure with this.

Ultherapy and Nerve Damage

+2

The basis of Ultherapy is use of focused ultrasound waves to cause deeper tissue neocollagenesis and subsequent soft tissue tightening. Ultherapy is also a very safe treatment and permanent injury to sensory or motor nerves is hard to imagine. The only possible way this could occur is via pulse stacking, which should not happen in the hands of an experienced Ultherapist.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ulthera and Facial Nerve Damage

+1

Thank you for taking the time to ask your question.  The nice thing about Ultherapy is that the depth of the treatment is controlled by which transducer is used.  When treating the deeper layers of the skin, injury to the facial nerve should not occur since the energy of the delivered treatment is on the surrounding fascia of the muscle.  In the face, the nerve is usually much deeper and innervates the muscle from its underside and therefore should not be affected.  Granted proper technique should be used.

Ultherapy safe but risks exist including nerves

+1

There have been no permanent problems with nerves reported by the company to-date.  There have been temporary areas of sensitivity along sensory nerves such as the forehead nerves that transmit sensation from the scalp and some scalp paresthesias were noted to occur but spontaneoulsy improved.  The marginal mandibular nerve along the front of the jaw near the chin can cause a temporary weakness in pulling down the corner of the mouth when trying to open fully. This neuropraxia has been reported rarely to occur and has been self limiting, but caution is now taken not to treat that area of the jaw and lower cheek right near the chin.

Overall, Ultherapy has proven its safety via the numbers of procedures done.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/ultherapy/index.html