Can Ultherapy Be Done on the Eyelids? Or is It Not Safe? Or Just Not Tested?

Ultherapy on Eyelids?

Ulthera is not to be used on the eyelids

+1

The company has been evaluating the Ulthera treatment on the eyelids, but as of today, they have not found a good way to shield the eyes from the energy of the treatment.  Therefore, it is not recommended to treat the eyelids.  Who knows what the future holds though.

Utlherapy is not optimal to treat eyelid skin

+1

At this time the transducers are not set to deliver the shallow depth of treatment that a thin eyelid requires and the transducers are cumbersome for this small area.  Thermage and Pelleve are better tighteners of the skin of eyelids.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/pelleve-treatment/index.html

Elevating the brow can help

+1

Performing Ultherapy on the forehead to elevate the brow can be very helpful to relieve excess skin on the upper eyelids.  But it is absolutely NOT safe to treat the actual upper eyelid skin.  Knowing the boundaries of a given treatment modality is essential, and I commonly tell my patients that Ultherapy is great for soft tissues in the cheeks and neck, but areas where it does not do well are:

1. Excess upper eyelid skin
  2. Platysmal bands

I have had many patients have an Ultherapy treatment, then 3 months after, we perform a Blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) right in the office.  It can be done under local anesthesia (just an injection of numbing lidocaine), with the patient awake, and takes only 1/2 an hour.  Patients may develop some bruising - but this usually resolves in a week to 10 days.  The scar is invisible because it is placed right in the eyelid crease!

Hope that is helpful.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon