Necrosis of Belly Button Stock, What can I do Now?

I have had necrosis of BB since 2 day post op, now on week 3 post op my Dr said it appears the entire stock is dead! I am not a smoker. I am 37 years old very physically fit. I am an exercise physiologist and take great care of my body. it was three kids and 2 c sections that ruined my stomach! I do not understand why this has happened. My Dr. Is great and seems very shocked! How does this happen? Options to fix? Will it ever look normal? How long will it take? What is the best way to fix?

+3

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this problem. It is not a common occurence and I doubt you can ever pinpoint exactly why it happened. I think it would be a very big mistake to get too aggressive with any surgical intervention at this time. Commonly, when there is soft tissue loss it is best to refrain from any surgical repair until the area has completely healed. We are sometimes surprised at how little further work is necessary if we are just patient. Follow your doctor's advice carefully as far as the wound care.

Belly Button Necrosis after Tummy Tuck?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experience.

At this point, it would be in your best interests to avoid surgical intervention if at all possible. Allow the body/umbilical area to heal and evaluate the “end results” somewhere between 6 months to one year after surgery. At that point,  options for treatment will depend on exactly what the area looks like. Options may include allowing for further time to allow scar maturation to umbilical reconstruction.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon  and try to be as patient as possible.

Belly button necrosis after tummy tuck

+1

Hi - Very sorry to hear about your belly button. While this is not a common occurrence (the most common area to have necrosis is in the skin between your belly button and pubic area), the belly button is surprisingly forgiving in terms of healing. For now, I would just make sure you take care of the wound to prevent infection, but otherwise I would advise waiting to see how everything heals up. If you are unhappy with the eventual appearance (we are talking after AT LEAST 6 months), a revision can be done, or a new belly button created. For now, just be patient and take good care of the wound. 

Tracy Kadkhodayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon