Is It Possible to Return to Work Two Weeks After a Tummy Tuck? Im a Registered Nurse and Im on my Feet Most of the Day.

Time off work for Nurse

+1
Each surgeon has his or her own guidelines for postoperative care. Patients generally can return to light activity 7 to 10 post surgery. More strenuous activity can generally begin 2 to 6 months post surgery.  Consult with your surgeon as he or she understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Return to work 2 weeks after tummy tuck?

+1

It is possible to return, but may not be advisable.  In addition to being on your feet most of the day, do you do a lot of lifting/pushing/pulling?  You may want to talk to a supervisor about a modified schedule to avoid compromising the outcome of your surgery.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Returning to Work after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1
I do not think it would be wise for you to return to work 2 weeks after a tummy tuck operation. Most of my patients, and your line of work, need at least 3 to 4 weeks before returning to the strenuous activity of nursing.
I'm assuming that you are about to undergo the tummy tuck operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery. A few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+1

It certainly is possible to return to work two weeks following a tummy tuck.  You should check with your surgeon, however, in case there are other factors specific to your case.

David Stoker, MD

Return to Work Two Weeks After a Tummy Tuck?

+1

If your health is good and you are in good shape you could return to desk work easily at two weeks. But fatigue is still a factor so if you are in a position where you are up and about all day on your feet two weeks is early. For your health and patient safety you would not want to be having to lift patients for 4-6 weeks after surgery if it involves muscle repair.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Back to work 2 weeks after tummy tuck

+1

While this is possible, I wouldn't plan on it.  You may feel great, but your energy level will not be up to a full shift of R.N. work.  Additionally, should you have to do any patient lifting or shifting, your muscles will not thank you.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Return to work two weeks after tummy tuck

+1

It does seem incredible, though most of our patients do return to work by two weeks after tummy tuck. The process will take courage and planning, and some work restrictions. However, most find they can do it, and few realistically can afford to take off any more time.