Is a Chin Strap Needed After a Neck Lift for Turkey Neck?

After a neck lift to get rid of my turkey neck, would I have to wear a chin strap? If so, how long?

Support typically unnecessary after neck lift, but ask your surgeon

+3

Gatelli,

Surgeons vary in the application of post-op elastic support (chin strap) following neck lift (and in the type of surgery they perform). It is important to follow the routine your surgeon recommends, as part of your recovery and care.

When I perform a surgical neck lift, including removal of subcutaneous fat (by suction lipectomy or scissor excision), removal of excess platysma muscle bands, suture tightening of lax muscle, and redraping & removal of the excess skin, I ask patients to wear the elastic support for the first 24-36 hours. After the first dressing change in my office, I do not require that they wear it, but suggest they do if they notice increased swelling. Typically, the neck has relatively little swelling and the support is unnecessary afterward.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Dressing after Neck Lift needed only for a few days

+2

The neck dressing we have patients wear is for protection from trauma and to limit the extremes of head motion after surgery. It does nothing after that.

A chin strap is optional

+2

gatelli, After neck lift surgery, they will likely place a dressing / chin strap for the first few days. After this, I feel it is optional. One alternative would be to just wear the chin strap at night. However, you should discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her suggestions.

Web reference: http://www.RealPlasticSurgery.com

Surgery involves swelling

+2

To reduce the swelling and risk of bleeding after a necklift, a compression garment is advisable for the first 24 hours. After that, you can wear as neede to help minimize the swelling.

Strap for turkey

+1

I like it to remind you had surgey so you'll protect my repair

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

It's helpful for healing early after the necklift, but ....

+1

Chin Straps: Worth it? or not worth it?

Chin straps are a bit of an annoyance to wear immediately after surgery and have a tendency to fall off.  They are relatively inexpensive and I think, in general, a good investment towards protecting the several thousand dollar investment on your necklift.  

Many surgeons do advocate the use of chin straps (compression dressings) like an ACE type bandage or even the spandex type head, neck and cheek compression dressing you can buy online, in order to give the area under the neck some compression while it is initially healing.  This can help with swelling, as well as give the skin some support as it is trying to heal to its underlying soft tissues (fat and muscle).  I think this compression helps the area to heal faster.  After the initially healing in the first week, the collagen that was made after the surgery is disorganized.  Over the following weeks to months and up to a year, the collagen remodels itself and becomes more organize with the collagen fibers lining up in the same direction, to help the necklift hold its new shape.

I like to use analogies, so here is one which may make some sense.  When we perform plastic surgery, usually it involves some separation of skin from the underlying fat.  When the skin is laid back down, it "glues" itself back down using your own collagen.   A compression dressing would be similar to a clamp used to hold two pieces of wood that you are trying to glue together.  You can place the two pieces of wood with glue together, and it should hold, but if you clamp the wood with glue together, it usually holds much stronger, and there is less likely to be gaps between the area that is glued. 

One Warning 

The chin strap should not be worn too tight.  It should feel like a slight hug on your face.  Why?  Since the neck skin was recently operated on, the blood supply to the skin is not the same as it normally is.  A compression dressing that is too tight can potentially compromise the blood supply to the skin and cause something called "Skin necrosis" which is when the skin doesn't get enough blood and oxygen, and the skin dies.  The skin turns dark, and dries up like a scab.  

This can also happen when the patient is using cold or warm compresses.  If the patient uses ice directly on the skin, it can cause "frost bite" or a cold burn to the skin, and if the patient uses a hot compress or electric heating pad, it can also "cook" the skin.  The skin will also die and turn into a scab.  The skin then needs to heal from underneath, and will likely leave a scar.

Chin straps, cold and warm compresses can be helpful, but should be used as directed by your operating surgeon.  Every surgeon's protocol after surgery may be different and some may use All, some or none of the above.

I wish you the best,

Dr. Yang

Chin Strap After Necklift

+1

The most important part of any operation is THE OPERATION.  I don't think that wearing a chin strap will make a bad neck lift better, nor will it make a good neck lift bad if you don't wear one.  I have all my patients wear an Ace Bandage wrap for a week after surgery.  The main benefit of the chin strap is that it helps remind the patient to not turn the head too much, putting extra strain on the incisions behind the ear.  It might help a little with swelling and bruising, but probably not much.  

Web reference: http://drjohnbitner.com

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin strap after neck lift

+1

Wearing a chin strap after a neck lift is very important. At least 7-10 days all the time and then when at home and sleeping with it it for at least 4-6 weeks. The reason is that the layers of the neck have been separated in the surgical process. Then re distributed and and repositioned. These layers will have to re adhere properly to each other and that takes about 6 weeks.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin strap after necklift

+1

I have my patients wear a chin strap style compression bandage for about 7 days after neck lift surgery. Initially this helps the skin to redrape appropriately over the underlying tightened neck tissues. I find that it's most beneficial for improving the tissue edema after surgery. Use of chin straps and length of use varies widely, however, among surgeons.

Chin strap

+1

The small velcro-attached chin strap is used after a neck or facelift to allow the tissues to heal in place. This is used for about 7 days after the surgery.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.